Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Wisdom

"Let us learn to discern whether the words spoken against us or against God or against the truth are merely for the wind--spoken not from the soul, but from the sore. If they are for the wind, let us wait in silence and not reprove. Restoring the soul, not reproving the sore, is the aim of our love."

~ John Piper from "A Godward Life"~


I freely admit my guilt. I have gone off at the mouth. I have uttered things that would have been better left unsaid. Though I normally choose my words carefully and with much thought, I made a colossal mistake this past year and deeply hurt people I love. The pain I caused punched me in the gut, knocking the wind out of me. I was forced to look hard at who I am and what God has called me to do. My confidence was shattered and my inward being crushed. It was not pleasant, not at all.

But my greatest blunder became my greatest blessing when the same people I hurt were willing to let my words be "for the wind." They put their own pain aside to restore me. It couldn't have been easy. It had to be a conscious choice on their part (more than a few times) to forgive and continue loving me. Their grace provided my healing. It was absolutely sacrificial and the greatest picture of love and mercy I have seen in very long time. Their willingness to forgive and move on allowed God's work to continue, unmarred by conflict. It helped me press on, better from the experience.

Such sacrificial love is a huge gift, both to me and to our Lord. It provides unity in the body of Christ and inspires me to be better. How can I ever repay these people? By doing the same for others when they hurt me. It is true words cut deep, but holding on to them serves no greater purpose in the cause of Christ. I need to adopt Proverbs 19:11 into my daily thinking: "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense." People of character and maturity are able to do what is best for all. I pray I learn this lesson. I have seen first hand how the ability to let some words be "for the wind" has dramatic effects in restoration. I sincerely thank those of you who have done this for me. I will never forget it.



See some other impressions of this quote at Joy in the Morning.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed reading your thoughts, bless you.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to wish my favorite other "big girl" Happy Birthday. I pray you have a joyous day.

Dianne said...

Hmmm, good take on this quote. Thanks for being willing to share how you've been blessed by others in this respect. And thanks again for visiting my blog!

Susannah said...

This is a memorable quote. And thank you for your transparency. The Lord has been reminding me how vile it is to him when we refuse to forgive. After all, he has forgiven us for much greater offenses! I'm glad your hurtful words were taken as wind. :~)