Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thinking on the beach



I sat on the beach, soaking in the sun and looked out at my family. My family. How did I get here? How can I be this old and have four children when I still feel about 12?

That's how old I was when I thought my dreams for life may be unattainable. Yet God chose to become real to me then too. He gave me hope by showing me a wonderful promise in His word, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4) I decided right then I would believe Him despite the odds I saw ahead of me and set out to please Him, trusting Him for the rest.

Fast forward over thirty years and I'm lying on a beach, relishing the sight of my own family. My husband is helping our older daughter hunt for seashells, my boys are constructing some kind of sand fortress and my youngest has made "a little sea friend" (one of the best "Keeli-isms" to date).



I've been married over twenty years and a mother for seventeen, so why does it still catch me by surprise that I have a family? And not just any family, a really great family. How did I get teenagers willing to ride the carousel and Dumbo ride just to make their little sister feel important? How did I get kids who wanted to make sure I got to do the things I wanted to do and who missed going to church as much as their parents? Why did God give me a husband who understands that the best vacation for me involves him taking care of all the details? Realizing my life is way more than I imagined it would be when I was 12, I can't help but think, Wow, God, look what you did. Thank You so much. You truly are faithful.

Thank You, Lord, for this incredible gift, this family. I couldn't have planned it better myself.

7 comments:

Denise said...

Bless your thankful heart sweety.

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Great post ! May the Lord bless you this week and always.

Angel ( Angel Mama )

Janis Rodgers said...

I wonder how I got to today sometimes too. God has certainly blessed us! Blessings to you!

Denise said...

Love the photos! You look like you all had such a great time! I love what you wrote too - I can relate: thankfully!! Have a great weekend. Welcome Home!!
Denise R.

Anonymous said...

Tami,
You have a wonderful family and we have all loved being a part of your extended family as you have opened your home up to so many. Thank you for being a bright spot in my life.

eph2810 said...

Tami, what a beautiful thankful post. Yes, sometimes I feel like 12 (inside--if the heat doesn't get to me *smile*)...What a blessing to have had some time away from all the hustle and bustle to spend with your family.
Thank you for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.

Be blessed today and always.

Hopeful Spirit said...

Great reminder for all of us.