Sunday, July 08, 2007

Trying to prime the pump


The week we've been back since our vacation has felt unnatural, lacking purpose and motivation. I've felt so out of it and have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I suppose it didn't help we had one laundry catch up day before the Independence Day holiday and family gatherings and such, but I have felt restless and anxious without reason. It kept me up last night until 2:30.

And today we went to church. I scanned the crowd and saw the familiar faces, the steady, loving influence that is my church family. I couldn't help but smile as we sang praise songs. I was greeted with many hugs and closed the place down having great conversations with wonderful people. I was safe. I was comfortable. I was home. And now I am rejuvenated and ready to get back to my routine. God's Spirit filled me up. It was exactly the boost I needed to get on with life again. Aaaaahhhhh. . . .

As I walked away refreshed and grateful, I couldn't help but think of some of you, my blogging friends, who have struggled in this area. Some of you don't feel fulfilled or connected at all in your churches. You go to honor God, period. Or week after week you visit another church, trying to find the right fit, desperately seeking the refuge I get every Sunday. I wished I could give you the shot I got today and help you see what a blessing a church family can be.

And it made me wonder what makes the difference? How can I be so enriched by my church life and others, just as devout as I, come away lacking? I know when we first moved to this church, I went through some years of feeling unknown and unconnected, and found excuses why I couldn't go (motherhood offered lots of them). But today it occurred to me perhaps what really bothered me so many years ago was a feeling of being unneeded. Is that what gets to us when we struggle not only in church but also in relationships? Do we "not get anything out of it" because we don't feel needed?

Which takes me to, yes, you guessed it, another question. Does being a good friend, a good member of the body of Christ involve making others feel needed? How can I do that? What can I do to jump start others to a wonderful church life?




Photo Credit: chadrogers

6 comments:

Dianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susannah said...

Excellent questions! My husband and I have been Christians for nearly all of our adult lives, and we've often said that our best times at church have been when we've been involved in giving something of ourselves, rather than just sitting in the pew. (Being in the "sandwich generation" has limited our energy for deeper involvement in the past few years.)

Summer can be a meager time in church because people are coming and going so much. Fall always offers plenty of new opportunities for ministry--which we're looking forward to this year. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Feeling needed is part of having a fulfilling connection with our church family. It definitely is important to help others feel connected and important to do our part of meeting the needs of the church.

Yes, many are "needed" to usher, set up tables for lunch, make coffee for social hour, sing in the choir, fill communion cups, greet visitors, the list could go on.

What if you changed the question to: Some don't get anything out of it because we don't feel wanted?

It seems the most vibrant churches are the ones where people feel the most connected ie. wanted.

I know that is selfish of all of us, but there is truth to that.

There are different things to "get out" of church. Scripture study, quiet worship, praising God through song, prayer. All fulfilling, all desparately needed.

But, the cherry on the sundae, is seeing a smile of joy and gleem in a friend's eye when you greet. Knowing they are genuinely happy to see you and just love you for you.

Dianne said...

Oh Tami, i think you hit the nail on the head big time here. As much as we know all the right reasons for going to church, I think if we come away feeling not connected, it contributes to that feeling of emptiness.

Unknown said...

I have often wondered that myself.

I think that you make a good point about "feeling needed." I also think that attitude is critical. If we go to church with a selfish spirit, wondering "What am I going to get out of it," instead of "How can I worship the Lord?" or "How can I serve the Lord and others here?" then I think it fuels our discontent.

Miriam Pauline said...

What an awesome post! I think that it is so important to reach out to people and let them know that they are important (as people not just a number). Some people just naturally are able to do that--two weeks ago I went to the funeral of a lovely quiet gentleman. He was the first person to speak to my husband on his first Sunday in England. The next week he and his wife took DH home with them for lunch and shared with him about the church. We immediately knew this was our church. I so miss him!

Friendliness with a purpose of making someone comfortable and needed is a definite gift.

Bless you for sharing.