Monday, October 01, 2007

Expecting or Accepting?

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis
Want this button?

We have lived under the same roof for twenty-one years. We have feared together and cheered together. We have shared heartbreak and sorrow, joy and exhilaration. We have laughed and cried and talked and dreamed and opened ourselves wide to one another. We've even survived parenting four children (at least so far), yet there are times I look across the room at my husband and wonder who he is. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love him, very much. He is God's greatest miracle and richest blessing to me. He is a good guy, smart and funny, loving and thoughtful, amazingly talented and devoted to God, but. . .well. . .

. . .sometimes I just don't get him.

Does he really not think about things I think about? Is it possible he honestly doesn't notice stuff? He can really tune things completely out like that? Really?! How can that be? How can we be so compatible, yet so different? Shouldn't I be getting this marriage thing down by now?

I think the problem is that I EXPECT instead of ACCEPT. I expect him to notice things instead of accepting he may not. I expect to be the object of his complete adoration (I'm supposed to be his queen, right?), instead of accepting I can't be, only God should be. When I am bothered by some issue in our marriage, I expect him to change instead of accepting who he is. I cannot expect and accept at the same time, can I? I have to ask myself, which is more loving?

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
Romans 15:5-7


If I want a strong union, I've got to follow God's principles. I've got to quit expecting and start accepting. It's the only way for our marriage to bring glory to God. Now I get that in my head, but practically. . .well, that's going to take a little practice. I can take heart, though, that if God ordains it, He will provide the training. Hmmm. . .doesn't sound so fun, huh?

So how will accepting change my day to day actions? Instead of wondering why he didn't notice, I'll accept he didn't and communicate better. Instead of expecting him to sense my mood, I'll accept he may not and move on, focusing on the truth that it was nothing personal. Instead of expecting his assistance, I'll accept he's had a long day too and humbly ask for help. Before I give too much more of myself away, I'll quit here. You get the picture.

Will you join me? Will you accept instead of expect?


Join our new host, e-Mom, at Chrysalis for more Marriage Monday posts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder Tami. Generally when I am out of sinc with my hubby it is because I am "expecting" him to act like a girl friend instead of "accepting" him as a husband. Men think different...that is for sure.

Susannah said...

Loved this, Tami. Excellent advice! We should focus hard on accepting not expecting.

One of the things I've learned along these lines is that I must A.S.K. instead of expecting my husband to just notice and do things for me. That way, he feels like my hero. If he just offers his help or support (as I would), he doesn't get the feedback that he's really needed. However if I A.S.K., it's like a feather in his cap.

Men seem so backwards to women in this area. Sometimes, lol, like you "I just don't get him!"

Fortunately, we still have a lifetime ahead to get accepting down pat. Congrats on your 21 years!

Thanks for linking up to Marriage Monday. Hugs, e-Mom

Dianne said...

What an appropriate post as we're coming up on ten years and yeah, sometimes I look at him and wonder too! Very good reminder. Don't we all just need to be accepted?

Denise said...

Great post sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I love the "accept instead of expect" concept. That is very true. For some reason it seems that all women I know (myself included) expect men to be mind readers. I've yet to see a man that is.

A bit of advice my mom gave me before I married was to focus on making your husband happy and not worry about your happiness. If you focus on his happiness, he will return the favor without even realizing it. I realize this would not work for everyone but it does work for us (most of the time! :o )

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I know you're right and the verse you chose confirmed it. You really gave me something to think about. I'll have to consider it the next time I just don't get him. :)

Kimmy said...

This was a great post! I really needed to hear this right now. Thanks!

Jan Parrish said...

Very true. Great encouraging post.

Anonymous said...

Tami,

This is an excellent post. I would like to post it at SUM one day. Pray about it and let me know.

I am inspired and uplifted and encouraged by you. Thank you.

Rachelle said...

Um... no... I think I'll keep "expecting." That accepting stuff is just too hard. Why can't he just CHANGE and then everything would be okay???

P.S. Tongue firmly in cheek. And if you want to see a husband really CHANGE, check out my Wordless Wednesday post. :-)

Aunt Angie said...

Tami---I join you---and I believe God gives us grace and peace in the journey. Your post was a blessing....one I will be printing and sharing with my daughters if you don't mind.
By the way....will be in the swing on the patio with the trees/birds/squirrels on Saturday...cup of coffee or hot tea? Which do you prefer!