Friday, May 22, 2009
7 Quick Takes (Volume 34)
1) Our gecko is one sick lizard. We've had to force feed the little guy all week, smashing up meal worms, mixing them with some water and sucking them up a syringe to feed him drop by drop. He is looking better, but he's got a ways to go.
2) Wednesday was the last day of school. I'm not sure if I should do the happy dance or take some tranquilizers.
3) The latest installment of Ladies Man? When asked on Tuesday if he had a girlfriend, my son said, "No, but I could if I wanted to. Really. I've got four of 'em on me right now."
Pray, people, pray.
But the very next day he came home and said, "There's something I need to tell you, Mom. It's not that big of a deal, but I guess I'm going out (he made the quotation marks with his fingers) with someone. Even he seemed to think it a silly notion.
"How will that work now that it's summer?" I asked, "When will you ever see her?"
"Well probably just Facebook."
We may be okay after all.
4) I've started a new tradition with my old college roommate (Wait, let me rephrase that. She's not old, it's just that college was a long time ago. That's not much better, is it? Let it lie, Tam, let it lie.) In the midst of moving and raising families, we haven't kept in touch very well, but this year we've started phone dates, an arranged time to call each other when we've cleared our schedules to really talk. It's been quite fun, but it does make me long for the days we saw each other face to face (it's been ten years!) and had a front row seat to the life of one another. But I'll take what I can get. Love ya, Penny!
5) The other day I heard one little girl tell another, "If it makes you happy, I'm wehwing a bwa."
I don't know about you, but the thought of a little girl who can't even pronounce the word bra actually wearing one, does not make me happy at all.
6) Since our college boy is home I'm having to relearn the back-off-woman technique of parenting. When he's home I worry about him more. I know what he has and hasn't done. When he's at school, I'm blissfully clueless. My husband's been giving me the "let it go" look a lot lately.
7) I am happy to report the fading popularity of the bikini. Last week I noticed fewer and fewer of them in stores. I'm taking full advantage of the opportunity and taking my daughter shopping today. Hopefully we can get a suit we both like this time and avoid the drama of last year's search for the perfect swimsuit. I keep telling her bikinis are out. So far she hasn't believed me, but the evidence will speak for itself, right?
I told my husband last summer, "Just wait, the tide is going to turn on swimsuit styles. There's not much more to take away. Designers are going to have to start adding again."
Of course, he didn't remember my prophetic words. But don't worry. I reminded him and the admiration for my foresight just oozed out of him. Yeah. Let's say that.
I hope you all have a fantastic Memorial Day weekend, my friends, and get the summer started off right. You can catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.