Friday, July 10, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Volume 41)





1) I'm actually writing this week's Quick Takes on Wednesday. By the time you read this, I will be lounging in the Ozarks with some really fun people. Can you say aah?

2) The 20 year reunion of my former students was very fun. I saw lots of kids and teachers I worked with. The time flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've always had it in my head that I've changed a lot over the years, but as I talked with people who were in my life twenty years ago, I was surprised to find myself much the same. I guess I want to believe I've changed for the better, and I suppose everyone does, but not as drastically as I once thought. I am thrilled to be making progress in the self-conscious department. Age has a way of giving you perspective.

3) "I am NOT going to eat at McDonald's ever again," our thirteen-year-old announced, "Their food doesn't break down in your system. It's not real food!"

"What?" my husband asked.

"No, really, it's true. I saw it on You Tube."

"Oh." we uttered in unison.

"It's true," our son insisted, "it's not just some lonely guy doing a video."

I'm not sure what he said after that. I was laughing too hard.

4) My husband likes the show Wipeout. I cringe every time I watch it. Man, those people punish their bodies! I can't understand how more people don't get seriously hurt. I wonder what our chiropractor friends think of it.

5) We spent Independence Day with my extended family. Watching my kids have a blast with their cousins made me so thankful we live close enough for them to know each other well. There are some real advantages to sticking close to home.

6) I've had lots of people ask me if I'm sad summer is flying by. Honestly? No. I've never been a big fan of summer. I've never looked good in a swimsuit. I'm not crazy about the heat and humidity. If you're cold in the winter you can always put more clothes on, but if you're hot in the summer, there's only so much you can take off!

But I must say summer evenings, with nice breezes blowing really trip my trigger.

7) Do you dream much at night? I do and I often remember what I dream about. A strange phenomenon has occurred in my dreaming lately. Whenever I dream about our church, we are located in a shopping mall. Not one of those strip malls, mind you, but a huge mall with hundreds of stores. Those of you who know me well will find this comical since I'm not much of a shopper, have a hard time spending money, and grew up with a fear of escalators.

What do you suppose it means? Is church stressing me out like shopping? Naw. I find our body refreshing and encouraging. Do I approach attending church like shopping, a "have to" sort of thing? I used to, but not anymore. I'm taking it as God's nudging to "go out into the world." Do you have any other theories?

That's it for me today, friends. Have a great weekend and catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

5 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Hope you are having a great time! I agree about the whole summer thing. I look forward to the weather change at 1st, but then after a few hot days I'm ready for fall. :)

kpjara said...

I like your take on the dream and I would agree with you...it's either that or you need to do more shopping?

Brenda said...

Your husband told me not all men like violent shows. : )

As for the dream, while at school I have become really interested. We talked about them in class one night.They are your mind working through current issues while you sleep. I have a big book my Chris' sister sent me and have ordered another. I'm not sure I can find "dreamed church was a shopping mall" in there but I'll give it a whirl.

Susannah said...

Have fun in the Ozarks! :~D

Unknown said...

Hey,

That's what you are doing lately. Vacation and girl... what a hoot about the shopping mall. I think yo have figured the meaning out and I agree. Hugs.