Friday, September 10, 2010
7 Quick Takes (Volume 98)
1) I hit a milestone this week. It's been TWO YEARS since Drummer Boy left our house for college and I think I've finally figured out how to do this mother of an adult child thing. It's taken me two years to trust the guy's judgment. Why? Remember how I said my word for the year was TRUST? Uh huh. I'm learning. Praise the Lord.
Now I get to start all over again with Drama Queen next fall. Ugh. Did God know what He was doing or what when He spaced our kids each three years apart?
2) One reason I shouldn't let Ladies Man be in control of the camera.
3) I got to see a parenting tactic pay off! We've stressed 2 Timothy 2:23-24 to our kids. Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. It's one scripture sure to get an eye roll and/or heavy sigh in our house. I must admit I haven't seen much fruit from the strategy until this week. We were sitting at the dinner table and Drama Queen tried to make a point no one was buying. Before long frustration set in.
Drama Queen: Why is it whenever there's a family argument everyone gangs up on me?
Me: You're the only one arguing.
She shoved her chair back, exited the dining room and flung her hands in the air.
Drama Queen: I'm walking away from foolish and stupid arguments. You're welcome Jesus.
4) Ladies Man stole a carrot off my plate.
Ladies Man: The Mama Bear needs to feed her cub.
Kevin sat down with a glass of lemonade.
Ladies Man: Papa Bear, can I have drink? You've got to provide for your cub.
Kevin: When does the cub learn to get his own?
Ladies Man: A Mama Bear can't let a cub catch his own fish.
Kevin: I bet you leech off of us a lot longer than a bear cub does with his mama.
5) Much to the annoyance of us all, Ladies Man was not done.
Ladies Man: I have a bear family. My bear name is Cody Dean. They call me CD or RAWR!
6) Drama Queen made my day telling me about how she's ready to be done with high school. Shocker, huh? She relayed the latest expectations she's not meeting of her friends and the frustration she feels over trying to keep everyone happy.
Drama Queen: I told my friend this is why I'm ready to be done with high school. I mean, I'm not ready to move out of my house and all, but I am so done with high school drama.
Did you catch it? She's not ready to move out of her house! Woo hoo! She loves us!
7) My husband's not a big sports fan. In fact, he gets highly irritated when he has to reschedule choir rehearsal because of the Super Bowl. Those of you who know Kevin well will get a kick out of this.
Ladies Man: Hey Dad, the NFL season starts tonight.
Kevin (as if he's just spilled a shake in his lap): Neat.
Do the poor guy a favor and watch a football game for him so he doesn't have to, okay? Have a great weekend and catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.