Friday, October 22, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Volume 104)


1) It's one of those weeks where I feel a disclaimer may be needed. I've spent lots of time preparing and repainting my front and back porches and I am one tired cookie! I don't get it. I work out faithfully. How can scraping and sanding and painting wear me out so much?! Don't you dare say it's because I'm getting older.

The stupid project started out as a quick task--cleaning the porches, but as I scrubbed the floor, chips of blue paint came up too. I thought I better paint the floors so we wouldn't have any rotten wood after another winter of being dumped with snow, but once the floor was so pretty the rails looked awful. ARG! After scraping and sanding and cleaning and sealing all day yesterday, I'm ready for the satisfying coat of white, but there's rain in the forecast today. Grrrr . . . this project will never end.

I just realized in my porch angst, I totally forgot to give the disclaimer: This woman is tired. Who knows what may follow in this week's Quick Takes. Proceed at your own risk.

2) Can I brag on my daughter a little bit?


Drama Queen was one of five finalists for Homecoming Queen. I think she enjoyed it eventually, but this girl was stressed out. I tried to snap a picture before the ceremony and got the evil eye.


As soon as I took this picture she waved me away. "This isn't the time." Here are the five female candidates waiting to be announced.


And the walk to the front of the field while their biographies are being read.


Then they stop for a moment under the arch. Hey, she actually looks like she's having fun here!


She didn't win, but it didn't matter. She looked so pretty and grown up (sigh). Being included at all was a boost for her. She makes this mama proud.

3) Drummer Boy was home for fall break. Because I'm constantly gunning for Mother of the Year and my laundry skills are my best chance (or I'm glutton for punishment--you decide), I voraciously attacked the mound of dirty clothes he brought home. Now I could be wrong (I am advancing in years), but I'm thinking it had only been two weeks since he'd done laundry. Would you believe I folded 26 t-shirts? 26! Who can wear 26 t-shirts in two weeks?!

4) Is it part of the training for employees of any cell phone company to learn the art of completely frustrating their customers? Drama Queen's phone went kaphlooey on Tuesday. Since I was busy and she isn't easily intimidated, she went in herself to take care of the problem. She waited for half an hour before being told she needed the account holder's social security number and password. She came home, got the pertinent information, waited in line ANOTHER half an hour only to be told she couldn't take care of it because she was under 19. The next day I went in with her and we waited maybe 15 minutes, just enough time to scope out the phone options. The tag on the phone said $.88, but the customer service representative said it was $70.88 with a $50 rebate. Then she tells us we can order the same phone online ourselves for FREE (why, oh why do they have different prices for the very same phone?), have it shipped to the house and even activate it ourselves.

Now why didn't she just tell Drama Queen that from the get go?! Can you hear me screaming?

I haven't had good experiences in our local carrier's store. One time I even uttered in frustration, "Boy, you guys know how to stick it to a person in every way." They merged with another company last year and I hoped for better customer service, but so far I'm not seeing it. To be fair I should say I get a yucky feeling in my gut walking through their parking lot. I'm like the dog on edge waiting to hear sic 'em.

5) Kevin and I saw Life As We Know It a couple weeks ago and I'm still thinking about Katherine Heigl's wardrobe. It's a nice story and all, but I confess the most memorable thing about the movie for me was her clothes. I realize her cute attire may have more to do with the beautiful person the clothes hung on than the clothes themselves, but a girl can dream, right?

6) Drama Queen and Ladies Man competed in the Minden Bandfest on Saturday.


They received a superior rating (woo hoo!) and I managed to get this shot with both of them in the same picture. Ladies Man is the trombone player (the second band member) behind the xylophone and Drama Queen is the middle snare player directly behind him.


If you've followed this blog for long at all, you'll know my photography skills are sorely lacking, but I think this shot should earn me a few points.

7) You may want to pray for Ladies Man today. The kids don't have school and I'm taking them to Lincoln to do some clothes shopping which he considers torture. I'd leave him at home, but he has an appointment too. To make matters worse, we girls need to do some bra shopping. Yeah. You feel sorry for the poor guy yet? I like to think of it as preparing him to be a good husband, but I doubt he'll buy it.

That's life at our house this week.Have a terrific weekend friends and catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

2 comments:

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

The 26 t shirts kerflummox me, too. I think I'd be a mean mom and make him do them himself. LOL

Congrats to your daughter! It's a really big deal to be recognized that way. Having never been even close to so honored, I can say that from experience. :)

Jana Banana said...

Hi Tami,

Sounds like fall is a crazy time around your house! Congrats to your daughter and good luck on all things band and high school activities!

I had to chuckle about the college laundry thing.... I remember my mom helping out, or just plain doing my laundry for the first couple of years of college for me, too....and, wow--I hauled home large piles! I believe it was when I started doing my own laundry that I started putting thought into how many clothes I should go through in a week! My laundry load shrunk quickly!! It's funny how perspectives change!

Happy Autumn to you all!!