Thursday, November 18, 2010

Throwing Me a Bone


I'd been feeling the familiar ache, the what-am-I doing-with-my-life feeling. My desire to be somebody tried to convince my flailing spirit I needed a change. I'd even prayed, "God, what else could I do?"

But as is His way, just when I started to question myself, just when I floundered thinking what I do doesn't matter at all, God threw me a bone.

While waiting at the high school to pick up kids, one of Drama Queen's friends came bounding for the van.

"Hey, I need to talk to you," she said, "I'm doing a photojournalism project where I have to take a bunch of pictures and I need your help. I'm supposed to get shots of people I want to be like. Can I take a picture of you as a stay-at-home mom?"

"Sure," I said, hardly believing my ears, stuffing the temptation to say something self-abasing.

"Great! I'll be talking to you!" she said with a smile.

I drove away still incredulous at what she asked. Why would she want to be like me? There's nothing exciting about my life. But instead of analyzing it (as is my terrible habit), I decided to accept it as a gift from God, a confirmation I'm doing what He wants me to do.

I took the bone, gave thanks and let it be. Progress.

And, Cutie Patootie, thank you for boosting this old lady's spirit.



Photo Credit: RaGardner4

3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

How cool is that?! God is so good at affirming us if we are watching for the affirmation.

But really....who wouldn't want to be like you? I learn so much of who I want to be and how I want to parent as my kids edge toward teen years from watching you interact with your teens.

Susan Snyder said...

Tami,

I just had to laugh when I read your post. I have always wanted to be like you. You are so in tune with God's calling on your life and you are making such a difference in the lives of others!
It is obvious that God's hand is upon you.

Brenda said...

I love that. I find myself struggling with being content often. If I have straight hair I want my curly style back, when it is curly I want it straight. When I am working I remember how great it was to be home. When I am home I wish I was working. I have so much to be thankful for.