Friday, January 21, 2011
7 Quick Takes (Volume 117)
1) I started this week NOT looking forward to my birthday and now I'm wondering why. I've had a great WEEK! The kind comments of others have truly touched me and I am left humbled at the amazing people God surrounds me with, people who know me and still think I'm wonderful. Imagine! How I love you, my dear friends. You made this ordinary, now older woman feel special.
Growing up I had a ton of friends with birthdays in the same two week period. As an adult I'm finding the same. All these January birthdays! Spring fever must be real . . . if you know what I mean (wink, wink).
2) My kids are getting to the age where they realize buttering up their mother may not be a bad idea.
Drama Queen: Are you 45 now?
Me: No, I'm 47.
Drama Queen: I thought you were 45.
Me: Mmm hmmm.
Ladies Man: I thought you were 32, Mom.
You see where this kid gets his name? And just to add a little more sugar (or saccharin?) on top, he departed with these words.
Ladies Man: Bye, Mom. I love you more than Drama Queen.
3) And now more potty talk from the Boesiger bunch.
Kevin was feeling especially playful or maybe just constipated and shall we say, let one rip at the breakfast table.
Ladies Man: Yeah, Dad, classic man fart. Awesome air feces.
Kevin: Air feces? Who came up with that?
Ladies Man: Me.
Kevin: I don't know if I should be proud or just disgusted.
4) Guess who's caught on quickly to macrame? Look what I got for my birthday from Miss Innocent One.
5) Drummer Boy is playing with a select drum corp out of Omaha this winter and was telling us about the show. Each battery player has a dancer assigned to them. I can't wait to see how they work the logistics out on this--drummers marching with heavy equipment while dancers twirl around them? It sounds like a concussion waiting to happen.
Drummer Boy: My dancer's name is Aloha.
Me: Aloha? (And of course I had to ask the obvious question.) Is she Hawaiian?
Drummer Boy: NO! She's just as white as me! I mean, she looks like an Amy.
Does it make me a racist if I found his comment hysterical?
This week I cleaned out the vanity in the kids' bathroom and tackled a shelving unit in my laundry room. Think dust, lint, humidity, spilled bits of detergent and many years of neglect and you get the picture on that. Ew, ew, EW! But now it's super and much more functional. YAY!
Oh and I must tell you how exciting it was to open my mother-of-all-closets this week and FIND SOMETHING IN A MATTER OF SECONDS! Do you hear the angels singing?! Wow, was that wonderful! That closet is so spectacular and spacious I'm thinking it will make a good hiding place when I don't want to be found or maybe a funky place for a little rendezvous with my husband . . . wait, you probably don't want to know about that.
7) The award for the most profound comment of the week goes to Drama Queen and her father.
Drama Queen to Kevin: You have a weird family.
Kevin: It's your family too.
That pretty much says it all, don't you think? Amen and amen. Have a great weekend, my friends and check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.