Friday, February 25, 2011

7 Quick Takes (Volume 122)


1) I've spent the entire week down with the influenza bug. My mantra at home has always been "I don't get sick" which is usually true. I guess when I do, I do it up big. As rotten as I've felt this last week, I think I'm good for another ten years.

Kudos to my family and friends for picking up my slack. Kevin proved again why he is Superman, shooing the kids upstairs in the evenings so I could have quiet while sacked out on the couch. He even did some laundry--go figure! I never figured! I think he did more loads of laundry this week than he's done in our entire married years combined. The upside is now he agrees we probably need a new washer. Truly there's a silver lining to every cloud, no?

2) One bad thing did happen during my forced hiatus. Since my kids spent so much time in their attic oasis, they developed a new habit.


They got hooked on Glee. UGH. (LOGAN! First the brownies and now this?! You're killing me babe!)

3) Kevin and I were sponsors on a drum line trip last weekend. At one point I looked across the bus aisle and saw a girl reading a Cosmopolitan magazine. The cover, in huge letters, said something about sex (doesn't every issue of Cosmopolitan have something to do with sex?!). In a strange twist of juxtaposition, the girl covered herself with a Care Bear blanket. Maybe I'm crazy, but something about that picture is a little scary, don't you think? Cosmopolitan sex talk and a Care Bear blanket?! Yikes.

4) Ladies Man is not playing in the Beatrice drum line, but didn't want to be left out, so he joined on as a student manager. He is basically a gopher and sets up the sound system. But since he has an artistic flair about him, his brother asked his help in designing their mat. I think he did a pretty good job.


And here's how the Beatrice line looks in action. Can you see Drama Queen's facial expression (snare player in the red shirt)? See what I mean about never messing with her when she's got drumsticks in her hand? She's scary without drumsticks, but with them, ooh, it makes me shudder.


5) Saturday's competition was the first time Drummer Boy's group wore their new costumes. They're kind of an Elvis/Dracula/Mr. Roboto look, if you ask me. As strange as they were, I thought Drummer Boy rocked the costume personally. Miss Innocent One was just glad to see him. Can you tell?


And here's a picture of him in action with his dancer, Aloha.


6) I eat a lot of nuts. They're healthy, they're satisfying and I really like them, but I'm constantly catching grief from my family about it.

Drama Queen: What are you eating?!

Kevin: You got your little baggie of nuts and berries?

Ladies Man: Geez, Mom, you're like a squirrel.

And now, every time Ladies Man sees me reaching for the nuts, he must utter.

Ladies Man: I could say something.

Zip it, smartypants!

7) Sadly, spending your life on the couch for several days in a row does nothing to further you on a quest to never be an episode of Hoarders. No purging this week, but I realized I never showed you Drama Queen's finished closet.


You can't see it in this picture, but this closet is pretty big. Behind the door is a full length mirror and in the left hand corner she keeps her hamper. She shuts the door behind her and uses it as a changing room. Now she has no excuse to get her room clean, and yet we're still waiting. . . Don't worry. I'm not holding my breath.

That's all for this girl today, folks. Have a terrific weekend. Find more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you are better!!!

Kathleen@so much to say said...

The closet is impressive. The flu excuses you from your weekly checkin. :)

How do I get my kids to want to be in a drum line? Kew-UL. If that's my payoff for the noise level in this house, I'll consider it all worthwhile! :)