Tuesday, May 01, 2012

How Can I Do That?!



“You are the only Bible some unbelievers will ever read, and your life is under scrutiny every day. What do others learn from you? Do they see an accurate picture of your God?”

John MacArthur
Can you say PRESSURE?!

I get huffy with my husband and yell at my kids and speed when I'm running late and get sassy with the Verizon clerk and mumble under my breath about all the church activities I have to attend. I'm emotional when I'm tired, snarky when I'm hormonal, dwell on myself too much and whisper curse words when I bump my leg on the dishwasher door for the 100th time.

And I'm supposed to be a BIBLE?!

I'm not perfect and I can't be perfect. How can I have the loving, gracious spirit I'm supposed to display at all times? How can I possibly live up to this responsibility?

I don't have to.

Yep, you heard me right. I don't have to live up to this microscopic scrutiny.

JESUS does.

Your very lives are a letter than anyone can read just by looking at you. Christ himself wrote it--not with ink, but with God's living Spirit; not chiseled into stone, but carved into human lives--and we publish it.

2 Corinthians 3:3
I can only be a living Bible through Christ's touch, through His Spirit living within me. Left to myself, I will fail. I will disappoint. But in the loving hands of a skillful potter . . . ah, now we're talking.

. . . by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.

1 Corinthians 15:10
HE will make me a Bible. His grace will fill in my cracks. His work will open the eyes of others, not anything I do.

Come, Lord Jesus, come. Clean me up. Shine in me.

Make me a Bible.

Find more ideas spawned by this quote or link up yourself at Sunflower Faith.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Amen friend!! Thanks for the encouragement that we can't ... but the Holy Spirit in us can! Love you friend x

Sunflower Faith said...

Wonderful and inspiring post!! Love this!