1) You'll recall Kevin was sick last week. Princess Dawdle caught it over the weekend and I started with it Tuesday. Yesterday was my birthday and I woke up with a fever. I've been telling people for weeks that the number is getting embarrassing and I need to quit having birthdays. Apparently God concurs.
As yucky as it sounds to be sick on your birthday, I found it to be a perfectly wonderful day. I laid around, played free cell, read, worked on a sudoku puzzle, and napped, all without an ounce of guilt. A few friends stopped by. I got some phone calls, enjoyed the Facebook frenzy and received lots of texts. A good, good day.
2) It's been a few weeks since we've seen Drummer Boy and I miss him. We'll see him Saturday, but until then I've been stealing glimpes of this cute picture he's had on Facebook. Love you, Drummer Boy.
3) Ladies Man: Princess Dawdle, you better not get a boyfriend your first year of high school.
Princess Dawdle (who is currently in 8th grade): I can't. I have to be 16.
Ladies Man: It'll be really hard for a kid in Band to date you (You can bet he'll be a hovering drum major). I can throw most of them across the room.
Is this protective older brother or proud I'm-a-dude behavior?
4) Drama Queen asked me to review a presentation she made for a class. I gave her a few suggestions, one of which was to change a picture she had included of me. I quickly got this email back which is so like her I laughed out loud:
Thank you!! Made all the changes! Minus the picture of you because I deleted them after I finished the powerpoint and there is nothing wrong with the one I have. Deal with it.
5) And now it's time for Kevin's Korner!
Sunglasses. How can something as simple as sunglasses cause kids to mock you? I have had to wear glasses since 6th grade. Sunglasses were never an option for me. This past summer when I got a new prescription for my glasses I also invested in a pair of over-the-glasses sunglasses. It was a cheaper option than getting prescription sunglasses. Almost instantly upon arrival home Drama Queen was chuckling at the size my new purchase. Now since I am not used to having sunglasses it did not take me long to
Keep Kicking It!
6) My children have an unspoken contest between them to produce the best response from me for my birthday or Mother's Day. Last year Drummer Boy "won" with his super sweet status on Facebook giving him bragging rights for probably the next ten years.
This year Drama Queen got in early on the Facebook wishes with this beauty:
Hey! If you see that amazingly gorgeous, intelligent, crazy talented and awesome Tami Boesiger today make sure you wish her a happy birthday! And if you don't see her today...find a way to tell her happy birthday anyway! Love you, Mom! Thanks for putting up with all of your hooligan kids.
Princess Dawdle wrote a heartfelt note in her sweet way.
But Drama Queen declared Ladies Man the "winner" with a jar he etched himself, full of meaning for my upcoming trip to Uganda in June (stay tuned in the next few weeks for more about this!). When I found it sitting next to my computer yesterday afternoon I cried.
7) While Princess Dawdle was sick, we got out a puzzle to pass the time for her, and I found I really enjoyed it.
Me: Uh oh, I'm going to turn into an old lady who sits around and does puzzles all day.
Princess Dawdle: No you won't. You'll have dad.
Me: But what if he goes senile?
Princess Dawdle: Senile?!
And then a hysterical thought hit me.
Me: Can you imagine how Dad would be senile? Think about how he'd rant about stuff then!
If we think he's fun now, he'll be a hoot as a crotchedy old man!
With that I'm calling this edition done. I hear the couch whispering my name again, although I do believe I'm on the mend. The ice cream cake my husband just brought home is begging to be eaten as well. Have a great weekend, friends, and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.