Saturday, June 10, 2006

Are they wrong?

In my last post, someone left a comment concerning other religions--Muslims, Hindus, etc. I don't know much about other religions, but I don't think we would agree on the divinity of Jesus and the authority of the Bible. I would not consider them my brothers and sisters and would not be commanded to be unified with them. The commenter asked if these other religions were wrong. Using the criteria of Jesus and the Bible I would have to say. . .(and I'm swallowing really hard right now--I hate to have anybody mad at me). . .yes, they are off the mark. The Bible is very clear about it in John 14:6, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"

But that being said, there are a few questions that linger in my mind. Does being confrontational and critical actually bring people to Christ? Will debating over their religion bring them to Jesus? Do you know many people who have been argued into heaven?

There's got to be a better way. Jesus attracted people by loving them. How do you think can we love those of completely different belief systems?

3 comments:

Jody said...

This is a good question and I think every Christian asks themselves this. I make it clear to most people I know that I am a Christian, and if the subject of other religions comes up I will be open and honest with them about what the Bible says, and I usually share with them that I have looked into other religions for myself while searching. I do not make it a point to try to convert the person then and there because it is such an important decision I don't think someone can just be "talked into it." But I do share in love, letting them know that God is love and that I don't personally hold it against them if they don't agree with my belief. I am not hostile towards unbelievers, however, at the church I used to attend that was often taught. I think if we share the way Jesus shared- in love, ultimate compassion, and truth- then we can only pray God's Spirit will change a person's heart, but we shouldn't try to make it our objective to convert someone, We are only told to share the truth and make disciples, Only God can convert people.

Anonymous said...

Excellent question. You always make me think! I think it's important that the person who believes differently than I, knows where I stand on the issue. However, there is a thin line between presenting your case and condemning the other person. John 3:17 states that Jesus didn't come to the world to condemn it, therefore we shouldn't. 1 John 4:11 says we should love each other as God loves us. 1 Peter 3:11 says we should live in peace with each other. I think 1 Peter 3:15-16 hits this issue head on "If you are asked about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. But you must do this in a gentle and respectful way."

Tami said...

Jody--Thanks for the great reminder that only God can convert people.

Jilian--You are a Bible encyclopedia! Thanks for the great verses, especially 1 Peter3:15-16.