Monday, June 12, 2006

No Higher Calling

You feel like singing today?

"Down at Your feet, O Lord, is the most high place.
In Your presence, Lord, I seek Your face, I seek Your face.
There is no higher calling, no greater honor than to bow and kneel before Your throne.
I'm amazed at Your glory, embraced by Your mercy.
O Lord, I live to worship You."

That song always gets to me. It reminds me of how unworthy I am. It makes me realize how selfish my big dreams are. I am so self-centered, constantly thinking about what I should be doing for God. Now there's nothing wrong with wanting to serve God, but I'd be lying if I said I had no ulterior motives. Following God appeals to me because He knows better than anyone what will make me happiest. Yes, I desperately want to point people to Jesus, but are those desires in me pure? I like thinking I helped someone. It makes me feel good about myself. Did you catch that--it makes Me feel good about MYSELF. Am I doing it for me or for God then? Can I honestly say I LIVE to worship Him? I'd like to, but I'm not sure I do, which is why this song always makes me cry.

Lord Jesus, I don't deserve You, yet You do embrace me with Your mercy. Why isn't it enough for me to "bow and kneel before Your throne"? Why do I think I'm so special that my calling should be more than that? Forgive me for wanting to make a name for myself as I proclaim You. Give me Your perspective. Keep working on me, Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tami~
Guilty as charged. Wow... you've pinpointed it exactly. Guess I've got some work to do. How can we keep the right perspective in serving Him? I'm so selfish and I get things so out of whack. Why isn't it enough for us to sit at his feet?

Anonymous said...

now i'm going to use things you've said and turn them back on you! ha! a wise couple (hint hint) once said that God works through us. From what i know, God has done great and amazing things, whats to stop him from doing great things through us. I do the same thing and feel good about myself when i help others or succeed at something, i really need to remind myself that God is helping me and guiding me.