Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Tale of Two Days

Monday: I woke up with a headache and a general, unexplained sadness.
Tuesday: It was a short night and I was groggy, but up before 6:AM.

Monday: "Why do You feel so far away, God?"
Tuesday: "Thank You, Lord, for your direction."

Monday: Encounters with people were solemn, serious, and a few involved tears.
Tuesday: The comments of others motivated me.

Monday: Making a phone call was too hard.
Tuesday: My busiest day of the week was enjoyable and meaningful.

Monday: I found myself sighing a lot.
Tuesday: My sighs were only yawns and nothing more.

Monday: "When will I feel happy again?"
Tuesday: "Happiness is overrated. Being content is better."

Monday: My eyes were sore, my nose burned, and my brow was tired from all the furrowing.
Tuesday: A smile peeked out.

Monday: My soul was weary and sad.
Tuesday: My soul was weary, but at rest.

What made the difference? I racked my brain trying to figure it out. There was no sudden solution to a problem. There was no break from the normal routine. There was no release from the pressures of life. I didn't even get a better night's sleep. What made me feel so much better on Tuesday? I desperately wanted to find the magic formula so I could retain the peacefulness I felt. Retracing my steps from Monday, I recalled four conversations I had where I let another person in to see my struggle. Each one gave a sympathetic ear, a hug and the certainty they would pray for me. Could it be. . .simple prayers couldn't make that much difference, could they? Nah. Later I talked to more people who mentioned they had been praying specifically for me without knowing anything about my troubles. You don't think. . .no. . .it had to be more than that. . .didn't it?

Whenever I tell someone "I'll pray for you," it always seems like too little. I know it's the right thing to do. And I pray plenty for others, but I often wonder if my efforts make that much difference. God's got it figured out. He's gonna do what He's gonna do regardless of what I say. But apparently I haven't understood the strength, peace and calm available to those we pray for, probably because I don't often see the results. Let me tell you, I've experienced first hand this week the power of interceding for others. And if you were one of those precious people who did so for me, know that your work strengthened my heart in a huge way. I've learned it makes the difference between a day spent going through the motions, pushing to get things done purely out of love for God and one spent living with purpose, content in His plans for me, come what may. I need that strength. I need the power of prayer. I assume you do too.

You can be sure I am a huge believer now that our prayers matter. They DO lift others up whether we see it or not. Our efforts are never in vain. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." And I am so thankful. It makes me wonder how many times I've benefited from someone else's prayers without ever being aware of it. And it motivates me to greater consistency and faithfulness in my intercession for others.

Who is on your mind right now? Who are you being nudged to pray for? Do it now. I mean it. Stop right now and pray for them. Don't shrug it off as a silly churchy thing to do. Take it seriously. Don't miss an opportunity to bring love and power to someone you care about (and especially to someone you can't stand!). You have a part in keeping them on the straight and narrow path. They need you. Just like I needed someone to hold me up this week and God's gracious love provided the prayers of a few faithful people.

"With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12)

Thank You, Lord, for the prayers offered on my behalf this week. Bless those who have done so and motivate me to repay their kindness on my knees before You.

5 comments:

Kara Bird said...

Wow, thanks for giving us a glimpse inside your days Tami! It encourages us to keep on praying. (Without having to feel helpless.) Great stuff! Love ya!

Rachelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachelle said...

Awesome insights about prayer, Tami. It reminded me of a post I wrote back in May. I think my life was changed and my marriage was saved because of prayer. Yes, the power of it is truly unbelievable.

http://thewordstudio.blogspot.com/2006/05/he-hears-my-voice.html

Anonymous said...

I feel like that a lot....we get stuck under the pressure of school, and classes, and everything going on in life. Nothing is going to take that pressure away, but the difference between sadness and contenment can often be a something very simple. Thank you for a lovely post.

Anonymous said...

Tami thanks again for your inspirational insight...It is nice to know that we are not alone in our good and bad days. I started a new blog the other one got deleted...long story...anyway I hope that I can continue with my adventures of mothering and other stuff....=0). Annie