Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Calling all Grammar Gurus!!


It may seem like a silly thing to you, but I am bothered and slightly alarmed by a trend I see in writing these days.

We've taken away God's capital letters.

I first noticed it years ago when I switched from my New American Standard Bible to my New International Version. Let me show you what I mean. Compare these two versions of Matthew 19:1-2

NASB: And it came about that when Jesus had finished these words, He departed from Galilee, and came into the region of Judea beyond the Jordan and great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them.

NIV: When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

Catch the difference? Every pronoun that refers to Christ is capitalized in the NASB. Not so in the NIV. Why?

I've noticed it in books and articles too. It's probably been standard procedure for quite some time now, but it just doesn't seem right. Rarely do you see a pronoun that refers to God capitalized anywhere any more (Well, except for my "rebel" blog). I admit I haven't kept up on the latest changes in acceptable writing style. I just found out last May it is correct to use only one space after a period. The woman leading the seminar said very casually, "We help writers keep up to date with the latest things, like how you can be quickly identified as an amateur by using two spaces after a period." (So I was a hack. Great. WHO changes these things anyway?) It used to be that God and any word used for Him got top billing, the big letter. It was His identifying characteristic, like the big "S" on Superman's cape. Why the change?

I don't like it. I don't like it at all. It scares me because it feels like we're displacing God from His diety. It seems like a line in the sand we've smudged and moved. As a former educator, I know society often swings like a pendulum on these things, but this is too important to shrug off as a trend, isn't it? I find it interesting there is never any need to get rid of the capital in the word "I". Hmm. . .wonder why that is.

Yes, I know I'm "old school" and I've probably revealed too much of my naivete as well, but it irks me. Who are we to take God's capital away, even if it's just a pronoun? I'm hoping to get some explanation from you editor types (Rachelle G., are you reading this?!). I need your help. What's the harm in honoring Him with His own special designation?

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Interesting post, Tami. Last year I wrote an article for my church newsletter, and before I submitted it, reviewed past issues for style reference. I was surprised to notice the same thing there. I headed to my Christian writers' style manual (sorry, the title escapes me now) and yes, this is now pretty much accepted. The reason given is readability; it breaks up the flow to capitalize pronouns. I have to say, it doesn't really bother me, although I found it strange at first. It is left up to the publication and as long as it's consistent, both ways are acceptable.

Anonymous said...

I have SOOOOO noticed this and I have to admit it really bothers me too. I too rebel in writing and typing (though nothing of mine goes anywhere)and use the Capitals for Him also. It is important and and I liked when it itterupted the flow to remind me who we are talking about. Great point.

Susannah said...

I hear you. My husband and I have had discussions about this too. We decided to just carry on with the old way of using upper case letters when we are writing about God. I haven't taken the time, but you might read the intro to your NIV Bible and see what the editors have to say about it (if anything).

The same thing applies to BC and AD. The standard acceptable way of writing those has been neutralized to BCE and CE. I've even seen Christian scholars do this out of "courtesy" or "respect." Not a bad thing in itself, but...

Good food for thought! :~)

Rachelle said...

Yes, I'm reading! Of course I deal with this issue constantly because I write and edit books for the Christian market. Without exception, every publisher I work for leaves the deity-pronoun-capitalization issue up to the author. It's a style issue, and the important thing to the publisher is that whatever style is chosen, that it is applied consistently.

In some books, as the editor I recommend NOT using the capital-deity-pronoun simply because it becomes too cumbersome and detracts from the flow of a book. This is for books that use deity pronouns frequently, as in, almost every sentence. It can make a book hard to read. I believe NIV went that way for the same reason.

I've never looked at it as a reverence or respect issue. Maybe I should! I have always looked at it as a style issue, period, and I continue to see it that way. I guess if we really wanted to bring more "reverence" into our written language, then we would follow the Jewish custom. Out of respect for God, they do not even write his full name. They write g-d. So you see, I think it is all just human preference. I don't think my decision NOT to capitalize denotes irreverence. I certainly do capitalize all of God's actual names! I just think pronouns are different.

BTW, this is not a NEW thing, as in, a trend in writing these days. The King James Version does NOT use capitalized deity pronouns. Perhaps the use of them (as opposed to the choice NOT to use them) is a new thing.

This was an interesting and enlightening post & comments! I honestly didn't realize the non-capitalization bothered people. Learn something new everyday!