Friday, February 16, 2007

Life is a dungeon

I realize I've been brooding some lately, so let me assure you not to panic as you read this title. No intervention or white-coated men carrying straight jackets is necessary. Keep reading. You'll see what I mean.

As I've been contemplating this week what God was thinking in establishing earth and putting me on it, this quote from Showdown by Ted Dekker caught my attention.


"The world lives in a dungeon. It's dark and cold and full of the worst, but it's where the world lives. Most well-meaning books do little to illuminate the way. What we're doing here requires a view of the dungeon. Do you understand? It's the only way to bring hope to the dungeon."

I may not like the tough stuff. Okay, I HATE the tough stuff. I don't like pain and misunderstanding and conflict and sucking it up when I'd rather let loose. I get tired of being stable and dependable and responsible. But like it or not, I'm living in a dungeon. I can't ignore it. As hard as it is, I have to look at the darkness and pain. How can I shed light on what I haven't seen?

God has chosen us--not to sing Kum Bah Yah and feel comfortable, but to be His light bearers. For that light to be seen, it has to go into the dark. Our world, our dungeon needs hope.

But don't worry. We do not walk in alone. God says, "I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant'; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed , for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Walk on in the dark, my friends, bearing His light.


Photo courtesy of wabana.

4 comments:

Kara Bird said...

I'm so glad God walks with us through the dark, while he makes our light keep shining.

Rachelle said...

Very interesting perspective, my friend. Hope you're feeling a little hope through the thought of it all.

Paula said...

Good reminder for me today. Thanks.

Susannah said...

Another friend of mine likes Ted Dekker too. The world is like a dungeon without Christ... especially places outside our "civilized" west. It's grievous.