Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Breathe

It was dark.

And very quiet.

She should have been sleeping, but her spirit was roused with anxiety. All the tasks, the changes, her failings, uncertainties, disappointments and worries over loved ones shook her awake.

"Where are You, Lord? I need Your peace," she whispered.

She felt Satan's pursuit more acutely lately. Her weary body had little strength to fight.

"I need You, Lord. I need to feel Your presence."

The clock ticked. The refrigerator hummed. Desperately wanting to be still and know that He is God, she closed her eyes, soaking in the silence, seeking the presence of the Almighty. Inhaling ever so slowly she said it again, "I need You, Lord."

The breath left her body and she sensed a faint I am here.

Inhale. . ."I need You."

Exhale. . .I am here.

Inhale. . ."Be near, Lord. I can't do earth without You."

Exhale. . .Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

Inhale. . ."I feel so weak."

Exhale. . .Do not be discouraged, for the Lord you God will be with you wherever you go.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Her body began to relax.

Inhale. She listened closely.

Exhale. She believed Him.

Come to me, all who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.




Photo credit: artonline

9 comments:

Dianne said...

Excellent post, Tammy. Sometimes we just need to be quiet and breathe - and listen.

Anonymous said...

You amaze me at your beauty in writing...somehow you seem to always find the right words for how I am feeling. It's been a long time I know. Life keeps us amazingly busy and Abby is now 1. Wow time flies. God bless you. Love you.

Miriam Pauline said...

Tammy,
This amazes me with its poignant and relevant message this morning. I've been up praying and these verses speak to the situation. Bless you for posting.

Kara Bird said...

I have felt like this several times this week! How vividly you put it into words. Inhale, exhale... one breath at a time... not even one step at a time, just one breath at a time, trusting He is with us... even when we can't feel Him. Thanks Tami!

Rachelle said...

Thanks! Life is hard, but God is good, even when we don't always "feel" it.

Susannah said...

Very nice imagery. I like the idea of inhaling the Breath of Life. So simple, yet so profound. :~)

Christine said...

Tami, that's beautiful. Such peace comes from that post.

Amy said...

What a beautiful entry. You are a very talented writer.

Christine said...

Hi again, Tami! I just tagged you!