Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Pressing On



"By perseverance the snail reached the ark."
~ Charles Spurgeon ~


Was the snail taunted on his trip? Did the cheetah run by and tell him he'd never make it? Did the elephant and rhinoceros walk by, rumbling the ground below him and look back with a "Heh, heh, get a load of that!"? Did the tortoise muster up an encouraging smile? Did the hyena giggle as he stirred up the dust and strode on? Did the ostrich whisper to the emu, "Who does he think he is? There's no way he'll get there in time." Did the monkey and the raccoon run circles around him, trying to distract him from the path? Did anyone offer him ride?

The scene reminds me of a high school gym class.

And life.

The snail kept inching along, ignoring the impressions of others, focused on one thing.

The voice of God.

And so must we.

"But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him. But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."
(Hebrews 10:38-39)


If we are to remain steadfast as a snail, we must get God's voice in our heads. You know what that means, right? Get into your Bibles, people. Only His word can propel you in your journey.


Join Iris at Sting My Heart for other takes on this quote.

11 comments:

Delete said...

Tami-

I loved the humor you brought to your interpretation of this quote! Thank you for starting my day with a smile:)

Jenny

Rachelle said...

LOVE your take on this! I adore the visuals of all the animals running past (and circling around) the poor little snail. That's exactly how I feel in much of my life! Thanks for lending your talents to "In Other Words." It would't be the same without you!

Miriam Pauline said...

Love this! What a great take on the quote--and wonderful presentation. Thank you!

Cyndee@Riezzee's Place said...

I work at a high school and that is so true how they act sometimes. Thank you for the reminder to be steadfast!

Cyndee

Denise said...

This was a great post, thanks for sharing.

Amydeanne said...

very funny! and I can relate to it! Thanks for sharing

Nise' said...

The words I need to hear so often..keep focused on one thing...the voice of GOd. Thanks for sharing.

Hopeful Spirit said...

I love the mental images you conjured up. I had some pictures in my head when I read it, too, but a bit different. I will not be able to publish my post until later tonight, but I hope you will stop by and read it! And I hope I am as successful at conveying a wonderful message as you have been! Great job!

eph2810 said...

Oh, that is so true...His voice leads us to persevere to reach the ark :).

I love the little story at the beginning how the snail must have felt 'snailing' down to the ark :)....

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Blessings to you and yours.

Rachelle said...

Good job Tami!!! You and I both know we must press on. Hope this week is better than the last for you.

Love you & miss you!!!!

p.s.
Got the garage painted today

Kara Bird said...

Oh how many days I feel like the snail. What a vivid picture you painted of what this life often feels like. Wow, amazing. And an amazing conclusion as well. The voice of God is the only thing that can keep us moving. Thanks Tami! Great words as always!