Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Connecting our dots

My head is still wrapped around my post of a couple days ago concerning being needed. Every single time I touch on this topic of connectedness it hits a hot button with people. Words that have come up this time are needed, wanted, accepted.

Apparently we're all desperately seeking this validation, this significance from others and not getting it. Whose fault is it? Are we not giving enough? Do we expect too much from others? I want to pin it on our frenetic society, always filling up our days with too much stuff, but I think what's really happened is Satan has done a number on us. And we're letting him do it.

Technology is wonderful, but I realized this week it contributes to our problem of being unconnected with others. Much good is done to encourage others in the blogosphere, but much time that could be spent having coffee with a friend is eaten up also (you bloggers know exactly what I'm talking about). My husband and I often work on our computers in the evening and the problem hit me smack in the face one night as we found ourselves e-mailing each other from across the room instead of actually talking!!! My son does way more text messaging than talking on his cell phone and it occurred to me it was because it is easier. He's not shy, but a shy person would rather type than talk, right? But are we sacrificing the skill of interacting with people?

But the problem is not technology. The problem is Satan is using it in a spiritual battle we have not engaged ourselves in. Let's get in the game, people. Let's fight him. Let's be real and honest in our communication with others. Let's be willing to say we struggle and let someone help us. We can have meaningful relationships, but we're going to have to fight for them. Satan won't let them just happen.

Jesus said in John 15:14,17, "You are my friends if you do what I command. This is my command: Love each other."

I think we love each other by being involved with each other and combatting Satan's lies. Things like,

They don't want to talk to me.

I shouldn't bother them.

They couldn't need me.

They wouldn't like me if they knew the real me.

No one cares what happens to me.


All UNTRUE!!! Refuse to succumb to these tricks and put yourself out there. Fight for the connections you want so badly. Follow Jesus' command to love each other by considering it your work in the Lord.

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)

Let's work together to cultivate the sense of community we all desire and which Satan dreads. If we are together we are stronger which makes him shudder. Let's give him the heebie jeebies!

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Give Satan the heebie jeebies... I love it!

Maybe it's my leadership steak in action, but it's weird to focus on me and how I'm feeling when I'm in a group setting. Mostly, I'm looking OUT, wondering how others are feeling, and how I can meet their need(s). I think this is the key to fulfilling relationships.

Christian motivational speaker Zig Ziglar once described a scene where there were diners seated across from each other at a formal banquet table. Their problem was that their forks were three feet long, and they couldn't get them into their mouths. Soon one of the banqueters figured out that she could reach across the table with her long fork to feed the diner opposite them. Soon, everyone at the table had joined in! Moral of Ziglar's story: if you give others what they need, you'll get what you need.

However, I do hear you! I think we need to keep our computer time/blogging time in balance, (which can be a challenge, lol.) Taking a blogging "sabbatical" usually brings me perspective. Perhaps your CA vacation has done the same for you. :~)

{{{Hugs}}}

Denise said...

Well said E-Mom! I agree completely!

Anonymous said...

Very insightful post. I just came over from Seek First His Kingdom where your comment concerning helping her neighbors caught my attention. No tomatoes coming from this direction, no ma'am. I think you gave everyone reading there a hard word and something to think about. I appreciate that! You made me want to head over to my neighbor's house right now and ask if they need their toilet scrubbed. Which is my least favorite yearly chore in this house, by the way! ;-)