Thursday, September 27, 2007

Growth


Even though I was a little late picking him up, he smiled as he got in the van. A good sign from the son who has caused me to hold my breath many days anticipating his mood.

"Hey," he said in his slightly lower school voice.

"Hey. How was your day?"

"Good." He tried to be cool about it, but the smirk peeked through and he blurted, "It was the best day ever of middle school. We got an A on our karaoke project for music. She said it was one of the best she's seen." Then he looked at the ceiling, clenched his fists and whispered an emphatic "Thank You!"

I couldn't help but smile and thank the Lord myself. He has come so far. This is the kid we literally drug to school for weeks in first grade, the one who assumes the worst and is sure he can't do it, the one we've had tons of stressful mornings with, the one who worried all summer about starting middle school.

To be honest, I worried about it too. He kept bringing it up, sure he would fail, wondering how he'd ever get through. Though I was somewhat anxious about it myself, I put on a happy face and kept telling him it would be a good change for him, a fresh start. We prayed about it. I promised I would sit with him every day if necessary to help with homework and we instituted some new family rules for after school time. And this momma prayed and prayed and prayed.

And now. . .he is coming into his own. He may still complain about homework and how he's never going to get it all done, but come 4:00 he gets it out and gets started on his own, not quitting until it is finished. He's been conscientious and is even starting to mellow out some, realizing every assignment will not take an hour. I've been proud of him and hoped his effort was translating in class. We found out in parent-teacher conferences this week he is doing as great as I thought. Praise the Lord!

On the way home from school today he recounted his "best day ever" class period by class period, telling me all the good things that happened, never losing his school voice. I saw in him a sense of accomplishment, of satisfaction and comfort that he indeed WAS going to make it through middle school and make it through well. When I dropped him off, he sort of strutted to the back door and gave me the same charming Boesiger grin I've seen in his grandpa, dad and brother.

He's growing up. He's finding his way. And his mom couldn't be happier.


For more Thankful Thursday posts, visit our guest host at Spiritually Unequal Marriage.

7 comments:

Denise said...

That is awesome - so awesome!! Isn't it great when boys can still open themselves up to their mama's and share! As I dropped my son off at football practice today, it felt good that he was not at all embarassed to send me away with a "Bye Mom, I love you!" (even in front of his friends). I am so glad that your son is finding his place as well as comfort and peace of mind! It's great that you both might be able to breathe a little easier now. Denise R.

Denise said...

Such a sweet post, be blessed.

Dianne said...

This brought a huge smile to my face, for some reason. Almost a few tears. Perhaps because I used to teach middle school and those gawky kids have such a special place in my heart. Nothing like seeing a kid come into themselves. But so many times I felt like the parents were missing it. I wanted to shake them. Not you, sister! I want to hug you :) Kudos to you, mom!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! I'm so glad to hear of this major accomplishment for him and answer to your prayers. We have boys who have a school voice too so that made me smile!

Anonymous said...

This indeed, is one of the best TT posts I have read today. Thank you for sharing your son and his day with me. Awesome

Great TT post.

Thank you for joining in and praising our King. Love and hugs, Lynn

Susannah said...

Amen Tami! I feel your pain... and your son's. Middle school is such a huge/hard transition for kids, and it looks like your son is going to be just fine. PTL!

Vicki said...

What a joy to read! Brought back so many memories for me, too, as a mom.