Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Wake Up Call


3:08 A.M.

A mind jolts awake with worry. A heart beats too fast to sleep. Unexplained tension sets in and the tossing and turning begin.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?

Past mistakes, old hurts weigh down. Disappointments, failures, weakness condemn.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?

Concern for others takes over. What can be done? What SHOULD be done? Prayers are offered, but no relief comes.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?

Fear of the future takes away from now and sucks energy out of tomorrow. Satan robs the joy, steals the peace, deceives.

God asks, "Why don't you trust Me?"

There is nothing to say. The anxiety is proof.

In the stillness, whispers are barely audible, "Jesus. . ."

And again, "Jesus. . ."

"Jesus. . ."

Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. . .Come near to God and he will come near to you. . .Humble yourself before the Lord and he will lift you up.

"Jesus. . ."

"Jesus. . ."

With each utterance the tension subsides.

"Jesus. . ."

Breathing slows.

"Jesus. . ."

Eyelids become heavy.

"Jesus. . ."

Peace enters.

"Jesus. . ."

Sleep.


Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You.
(Psalm 9:10)




Photo Credit: Mr November

4 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

wow! This is great. And I'm printing it for hubby who keeps turning the tv on at 2 because he is thinking of work and not sleeping, lol. Bless you my friend.

Denise said...

WOW! Very powerful Tami! Denise R.

Susannah said...

Slumbering peaaacefuuullly... A Lovely verse.

Whoops, time to get on with my day. Hugs! e-Mom

Rachelle said...

So, how did you know how my nights have been going????