Friday, May 29, 2009
7 Quick Takes (Volume 35)
1) I'm happy to report our gecko is finally eating on his own. No more smashing up worms and force feeding them, but I must admit I did enjoy feeling like I was doing a life-saving work every day trying to get that concoction into the little guy. It seemed more meaningful than making dinner for my own family. What is wrong with me?!
2) I haven't hit my summer groove yet or settled us into a good routine, and it's bugging me. My embarrassing closets have been taunting me too. Bleh. I may actually have to do something about them. Bleh. The thought just makes me. . .Bleh.
3) My little brothers (they're twins) turn 35 today. I guess I can quit calling them my little brothers, huh? I can't help it. A part of me will always think of them as the little squirts who tied my friends up with jump ropes.
I should find a way to get over it though. I certainly don't want them calling me their "BIG" sister. Ew!
4) One night this week all of our kids slept over at a church event. You'd think I'd be wandering around the house nude doing the hootchy kootchy dance, (well, there was something like that, I mean we're not stupid, a whole house to ourselves. . .well, never mind, TMI), but a weird thing happened. About 3:AM I woke up suddenly and just panicked thinking none of them were home. We're talking sick to your stomach, heart pumping, why-did-I-ever-think-it-would-be-good-to-be-an-empty-nester kind of panic. I had to get out of bed, get my bearings, pray and do some deep breathing to conquer it. I guess those kids have wormed their way into my psyche, huh?
5) We took our daughter to school at 1:AM this morning to catch a bus to Kansas City and then a plane to Orlando for a band trip. I'm glad she has the opportunity to go and know she'll make the most of it, but it's strange to think of your minor child so far away. It's a good exercise in trusting God to protect her when she's not in our direct care. I can't say I like it.
6) FYI--Ladies Man has not even mentioned the "girlfriend" this week. It's gonna be all right. Cool.
7) Get this! Remember how last week I was taking my daughter shopping, sure she'd come to her senses about this stupid bikini? She didn't bite. At all. The evidence before her on the racks didn't mean a thing to her.
"Mom, you really think ___________ won't be wearing a bikini?"
She half-heartedly looked over the suits in one store and when she found out I was not buying her another unless it was NOT a bikini, she decided not to look anymore. Her current suit was better to her than a new nonbikini. The only progress made was no arguing took place. We very civilly agreed to disagree about the issue and I saved some dough. Maybe she'll change her mind if _____________ shows up in a tankini. Or maybe I should completely gross her out and don a bikini myself. That might do it. Of course, then I could never be seen in public ever again. Hmm, is it worth it?
That's it for me this fine Friday, folks (say that really fast five times!). You can catch more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.