Friday, June 12, 2009
7 Quick Takes (Volume 37)
1) Our kids had some friends over and as they were leaving, they passed me in the dining room on my laptop. One of the guys, stopped, came back in and said,
"I have to tell you something. I read your blog all the time, I mean, ALL the time."
I was so shocked a college guy would have any interest in this blog, all I said was, "Why?!"
"I don't know. I just like it," he said, "Keep it up."
So here's a shout out to that friend (I won't embarrass you by identifying you!). You made my whole week!
2) We have a real problem at our house on Sunday mornings. My older two kids can get themselves up for anything on any day at any time, EXCEPT Sunday mornings! I get so irritated and crabby. This last Sunday, the longer I waited, the angrier I got and I was sure someone would get slapped if I didn't let it go. So I just left them even though I knew at least one of them was almost ready.
Twenty minutes later, the two of them hunted me down at church, sheepishly giving me a hug.
"Sorry, Mommy," they said, trying to be cute.
And I fell for it. How can you not appreciate a couple of teenagers who felt bad, got themselves there in time even though I left them and came to apologize?
Yeah, I'm a pushover.
3) I had to throw away my favorite pair of flip-flops EVER. They were so worn out they made my legs ache. I was feeling like some frail old lady with a pain in my groin on one leg and a soreness behind my knee of the other. I didn't know which way to limp!
Man, I hated to throw them away, but I knew if they were around I'd be likely to slip them on again. Fashion isn't worth it.
4) I'm failing summer.
I've felt more pressure to get stuff done since school's been out, than when I was barely keeping my head above water attending end of the year activities. When were the "lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer?" I know I put too much pressure on myself. I looked forward to sleeping more, but instead I'm staying up later. How can I not even accomplish that?! I'm stressed out trying to keep kids doing more than video games and movies all day. I want to enjoy time with them too, but then there's the constant nagging in my head to accomplish the tasks I don't have time for during the school year. I try enlisting their help and they're pretty good about doing it, but I'm monitoring their progress, keeping them on task, generally being a Queen Grouch Monster.
Yeah, fun times.
5) Pressure. It's my word for the week.
6) Wimp. It's my moniker for life.
7) Have a good weekend. It's my way of moving on to the next thing.
Read some cheerier Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.