Thursday, September 10, 2009

Trusting God, NOT my Money


Is there anybody out there NOT concerned about money these days?

We've got a kid in college and a garage that's about ready to fall over. Our van needs new tires (Side note: I HATE spending money on tires. I know they're necessary, but how unsatisfying is it to spend hundreds of dollars on hunks of rubber with no aesthetic value whatsoever?! A new washing machine can make your life easier and even look pretty, but TIRES?! Bleh!) We promised our daughter a new bedroom in the attic over a year ago. We have two teen drivers with cell phones and another chomping at the bit to join their ranks. My kitchen sink drips, a constant reminder it needs to be replaced. We are a family of six living on a single income and God's been faithful, but. . .

Okay, you're getting the idea. I've been TOO worried about money. We've had many years with MUCH less than we have today and I've seen the supernatural power of God supply our needs on many occasions. What is my problem?!

Somewhere along the way I've lost my trust in God.

How can this happen? I go to church. I read my Bible. I serve God. I make Him part of my every day. How has my peace evaporated? How have I lost my trust?

It started as I breathed easier when my bank account was bigger. And then when an unexpected bill occurred, instead of thinking, "God is in control. He will handle it," I thought, "I've got money in savings." A slight variation in my thought process led me down a bad road. Something's not right about me being comfortable in my financial situation. It makes me rely on numbers on a page rather than an Almighty God.

So I'm regrouping. I'm reminding myself of God's faithfulness to us in the past, which has truly been nothing short of miraculous. I'm praying for peace. And I'm retraining that thought process, meditating on Bible verses to transform my mind.

Psalm 9:10: Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Psalm 13:5: But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.

Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.


I've only worked on this a few days and already God's been faithful, restoring my peace and security. Can you hear me sighing?

Where are you at these days? Are you fretting or stewing or making yourself ill over money? Won't you appeal to a gracious God to bring you lasting peace?

Psalm 25:1-2a,3: To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul; in you I trust, O my God. No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame.




Photo Credit: Steve Wampler

1 comment:

Linda said...

I just put 2 new tires on my car and had a couple of other budget busters so far this month. And it's only the 10th! Great verses about trust.

I have more peace when I'm a discipled steward and making good money choices. Much less guilt that way. A fruit of the spirit is self control.

Now I can't help but think I need to apply that fruit to my high carb, sugar-loaded diet. Ugh! I would be so much more peaceful.

Trust Tami, we will be challenged, but trusting is worth it.