Friday, October 16, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Volume 54)--One More Time



1) Ladies Man is starting to look more grown up. He finally surpassed me in height. Last Sunday he came down for church wearing a shirt he got out of Drummer Boy's closet (which actually belongs to my husband) making him look instantly older. He wore a new pair of jeans too which did something for his stature I couldn't put my finger on. When I mentioned it, he said, "Yeah, they're sexy."

Just what a mother wants to hear.

2) Do remember the huge compliment Drama Queen gave me last week about my butt? My weekend proved to be even better when my husband said a few days later, "Your butt looks good in those jeans." And they were different jeans! BONUS! I can't think of a time in our entire married life that he's ever said ANYTHING about my butt. I've always figured he subscribed to "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I'm not letting it go to my head, though, I mean, I've been fully acquainted with my rear my whole life and know what it looks like, but it was nice to dream for a week, you know?

Oh, and another message to my IRL (in real life) friends: fair is fair. I'm checking you out! HA!

3) Does a person ever feel like they've arrived or reached the spot in life they're working towards? I've been asking God again this week, "What are we doing, God? Where am I supposed to go? What should I concentrate on? Am I on track or am I missing something?" I have purpose and plenty to do, but sometimes it would be nice to get a glimpse of the actual map.

4) Kevin and I inadvertently re-enacted the early years of our relationship and stayed up talking until 2:AM. On a Monday night. What were we thinking?! I've been paying for it ever since. Is there something wrong with us when even living in the same house doesn't provide enough time to communicate? I'm thinking we'll make good use of our empty nest years. Despite my prolonged grogginess this week, I'm thankful we still have so much to talk about. He's a keeper. Love you, babe!

5) If you remember my recent confession about being addicted to flossing, you'll completely understand why it drives me crazy when my kids forget to brush their teeth. When I noticed Ladies Man's teeth were less than clean, I appealed to his delicate sensibility.

"Girls are going to be turned off by gunky teeth, you know," I jabbed.

"Mom, girls are already on me," he replied.

Oh, stupid me. Lest you think him completely cocky, I did catch him peeking in the visor mirror and getting in a little finger brushing action. Don't think your kids don't hear you.

6) Is this H1N1 panic getting to anyone else? Yesterday on Good Morning America they did a story on a woman who contracted the virus while pregnant and suffered all kinds of life-threatening complications. While I understand we should be cautious, I hate how the media is stirring up the paranoia by presenting all the worst case scenarios. For every one horror story there are probably 25 others who simply got over it. Doctors aren't even testing for it to save their patients money, since the treatment doesn't vary if it's H1N1 or some other strain of flu. Are the reported numbers truly accurate?

Our school system sent out letters this fall stating if your child has flu-like symptoms, you are to report them absent with the flu whether they've been diagnosed or not. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

Personally I'm leery of using a vaccine that has been developed so quickly. It seems more like a get rich quick scheme for the pharmaceutical companies. I'm all for being careful and washing your hands and trying to avoid contracting the flu, but this business of scaring the public with questionable statistics stinks.

7) We've got another full weekend which is fun for me, but not my house. One of these days we'll be home long enough to really clean the whole thing. My second floor is YIKES! Sigh. There's never a shortage of things to do, is there?

Is anyone else hearing the sound of surf in the background? I'm not crazy about beer, but those Corona commercials on the beach get me every time. How can I reproduce that for an October afternoon in Nebraska?! Maybe I should build a fire and lay on a blanket in front of it.

Take some time to decompress and wander over to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes. Have a terrific weekend, friends.

2 comments:

Gae said...

Older children bring such a different dimension to our lives don't they.
I love the relationship I have with my older children
God Bless

beck'sthree said...

Great quick takes.

#4 - When my husband and I were first married, I used to worry that we would run out of things to talk about someday. Little did I know that three children and nine years provides a LOT of fodder for dialogue!

#6 - I'm with you. I'm very skeptical of they mainstream media hype and cautious about untested vaccines, so we won't be getting the H1N1 vaccine. My cousin's two kids have already had H1N1 (last month) and are fine now. Praying I'm not wrong about this one!

(Found your blog through conversiondiary.)