Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Feeling Like Martha


One more batch of cookies. Another round of peppermint patties. One more gift. Another stocking stuffer. I should pick up some extra tissue paper, batteries, ice melt. I keep pushing myself to complete everything so I can relax, and while the list gets shorter, little after thoughts make it never ending. This constant going steals the season. The busyness, the stress of getting it all done takes away from what Christmas should be.

There's been no time for gazing at the lit Christmas tree in the dark, for imagining THE silent night, for pondering thoughts like Mary. A few moments in the morning do not satisfy my soul. I need to sit quietly in His presence.

I think of another Mary, resting at Jesus' feet while her sister, Martha, scurried about as I do now. I feel Martha's frustration as I look at my family stretched out across the living room while I whip up party mix. Pangs of jealousy strike as I'm wrapping gifts and my kids are watching movies. I want to sit, to soak in the environment of my home, to cherish the blessing of my family. I want to be Mary. Jesus gently whispers to my weary soul, "Mary has CHOSEN what is better. . ."

Ah. And so will I. My list will be done TODAY, this morning if I can do it. The preparations will be finished. I choose to call it good. No more Martha racing. It's time for Mary adoring.

It's time to celebrate Christmas.

O come let us adore Him.
O come let us adore Him.
O come let us adore Him,
Christ, the Lord.



Photo Credit: Flowery *L*u*z*a*

4 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Merry Christmas my friend. Hope you find the time sit and ponder. Enjoy your family this holiday.

Unknown said...

Oh, I want to be a Mary, too! I need to quit being the Martha and get at my Jesus' feet!

Thanks for the reminder!

Rebecca

Dave said...

Happy holidays =D

Jaime Kubik said...

I feel your pain! It is a struggle. Only when the kids are asleep to I feel like I have a Mary spirit. Until then...I'm very much a Martha!