Friday, February 19, 2010
7 Quick Takes (Volume 70)
1) Ever have one of those weeks where for no good reason you're feeling blah? Yeah. That would be me this week. It's gonna be tough coming up with anything creative or funny today. Please accept my apologies in advance.
2) Drama Queen doesn't know it, but we are now tied in number of Facebook friends. I'll never forget the condescending tone she used when telling me, "Mom, there's no way you'll ever catch up to me." She truly didn't know who she was dealing with, did she? Can I get a holla from my fellow ridiculed mothers out there?!
Take that, my little mouthy missy! This mama train just started rolling, babe. Look out.
3) We survived another round of boot camp. . .barely. Hoss let us have it this week, although he keeps telling us, "This is easy." The devilish smile on his face tells me otherwise. Since he knows my husband works at church he often says to him, "You pray for me." Kevin always responds, "No, I pray for ME!"
On Tuesday after he'd run us up and down a flight of stairs for fifteen minutes straight (hey, give it a whirl--it's harder than it sounds!), Hoss was quite proud of himself.
"How you doing?" he asked Kevin.
Kevin only shook his head.
Hoss laughed, "Ah, God is good."
"Yeah," my friend panted, "God is good, but Hoss is NOT!"
4) Why does it bother me when I sense people think I live an idyllic life? It's like a termite eating away at my wood. I'll be talking with someone and they shoot me a look which says, "You're kind, but you wouldn't understand. Your life is perfect." They don't really listen to what I have to say, thinking I have it easy, I guess. I experience pain. I have problems. Everyone has junk and I'm not immune. Yes, I have a full life with quality relationships both in and out of my home. Yes, I have wonderful opportunities, but along with the fullness and the relationships and opportunities comes a LOT of responsibility. I spend a majority of my life feeling pulled and overworked and tired. It says in Luke 12:48, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." I know exactly what Jesus is talking about.
Sigh. I sound like a whiny baby. Moving on. . .
5) After school yesterday, Miss Innocent One went over her piano lesson, Ladies Man jammed on his electric guitar and Drama Queen set up her drumming pad next to the computer to play along with a practice exercise. All three did it on their own accord, with no provocation from me which makes me a happy woman, but. . .well. . .think about it. A piano, an electric guitar and a mad drummer all playing at the same time in three different rooms of my house, yet easily heard everywhere.
Is there any wonder I crave quiet?
Actually, it makes me smile, knowing they're finding as much enjoyment in music as their parents do. And I'd rather hear them than the television!
6) Though it's sort of a working vacation for him (he's playing for a wedding), Kevin and I will have an overnight getaway in about a month and boy do we need it. With all the illness in the house last week and his subsequent dashing to catch up on lost time, it feels like we haven't had any conversations besides those talking about who needs to be where when. I miss the guy!
7) I got every mother's favorite reward yesterday when Ladies Man came up to me, arms wide, saying, "Hug!" Why is it in those moments you have a tendency to forget the frustrations of parenting and find your children completely wonderful? In the chaos of adolescence, it's nice to know he still needs his mom every now and then.
And that's a wrap for me, folks. Hopefully I haven't bored you to tears. Read more exciting Quick Takes at Conversion Diary. Have a nice weekend.