Friday, July 16, 2010
7 Quick Takes (Volume 90)--The Rocky Mountain Edition
1) Oh. My. Goodness. The summer fun continues. This week we took a quick trip to the Rocky Mountains. We've had a TOTAL BLAST, soaking in nature around our cabin and in Rocky Mountain National Park. The kids found walking sticks our first night there.
So much to explore.
And snow too!
2) While our fellow Nebraskans were experiencing high temps and humidity, we inhaled clean, cool mountain air, experiencing perfect temperatures in the seventies.
3) We were delighted my Mom came along for the trip.
People say I look like her. What do you think?
4) One of the most enjoyable things for me this summer has been watching Drummer Boy and Ladies Man having fun together. Being five years apart, they haven't always been best buddies, but this summer they're really yucking it up together. These pictures say it all.
5) We had a GREAT time horseback riding on rocky mountain trails.
Those of you who know my fondness of seeing my husband in cowboy boots (which NEVER happens, darn it!), will love this next photo. We were required to wear them on the ride, so we had to take a Boesiger Boot picture.
6) An exciting event rounded out our time when Drama Queen, Ladies Man and I headed out to trek up the mountain near our cabin. The two of them had gone up the same place the night before, leaving their initials in a tree near the top. Wanting to show me and add my initials we started across the creek when Drama Queen spotted not one, but TWO BEARS! Luckily we had the camera with us. The second bear is the shadow in the trees to the left of the visible one.
Talk about AWESOME! It was slightly disturbing to think Drama Queen and Ladies Man had been in the very spot the night before. We tried some rock climbing in another place, but were somewhat spooked about what we might encounter after that. Still, we found the sighting completely thrilling.
7) Sadly, we're coming home today and life will have to get in serious gear again because of all our playing of the last few weeks, but I'm so thankful for the time we've had. I suppose I get more wistful than I should, thinking about the future and how as our kids grow these opportunities will become more and more scarce. You better believe I don't want to miss any chance to hang like this as a family.
I hope you're all finding some fun in your summer too. Get a start by taking in some other Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.