Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Believing the Best


She makes a comment and I search for the meaning behind it. What is she really saying? Is she trying to manipulate the situation?

He does something I don't understand and I make a judgment call. He must not be as serious in his Christian walk as I am or he wouldn't do that.

I'm frustrated with her consistent lack of responsibility and melodramatic nature and shut down whenever she has something to say, thinking, "Here we go again."

No wonder I worry about what others think of me. I know what goes through my own mind.

Why can't I show mercy? Why can't I give grace and allow God room to work? Why must a judgment call be made? Why can't I pray for wisdom and love like crazy? Why can't I look past the flaws to see the heart that's hurting, the person who needs someone in their corner, the precious soul who's barely able to keep their head above water? Why can't I take into account the trauma they've been through, the wounds which may not be healed, the scars they carry with them?

Why can't I believe the best?

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice . . .

Hosea 6:6

If I believe the best about those around me, will it free me from my own tendency to please people? Can I escape the expectations of others by not allowing myself to have any of them? If I react with compassion will I assume others do too when my faults are glaring?

Will I feel mercy from others as I give it?

Isn't it just like God to use our obedience to our benefit? When will I learn?

I've got work to do.

Lord, help me.



Photo Credit: Summers

No comments: