Friday, November 26, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Volume 109)


1) I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. We spent the day with BOTH mine and Kevin's extended families. The kids got to see every single cousin they have. Lots of people. Lots of food. Lots of laughter. Lots of fun. Great day.

2) Congratulations to Ladies Man who passed his test this week to obtain a Learner's Permit to drive. He's doing pretty well so far, but seems to have an affinity for the curb. He scared some poor jogging woman to death on his first test drive. But I think he'll be a fine driver with a little practice. He's got a perfectionist streak in him which will serve him well for this task.

Now, pray I keep it together in the passenger seat and remain calm. I mean it. PRAY!

3) Me: Ladies Man passed his driver's test today.

Miss Innocent One: Snap.

Ladies Man: Yeah, only my picture looks like I smoked a joint before I took it.

Miss Innocent One: A joint?

Ladies Man: You know, meth.

Me: Meth is not a joint. Marijuana is a joint.

Ladies Man: You can make a joint out of anything if you try hard enough. It's like my philosophy with things being edible. Anything's edible if you try hard enough.

He puts me in a quandary. Should I be more worried about him making joints or what his body is ingesting?

4) I've learned a new "skill" this week. We need a rock garden as part of our set for the church musical, so guess who got to do it? I started with a wooden block, covered in a layer of styrofoam (the wood underneath provides some weight for when the "rocks" get kicked).


I took each block back to my high tech work station and started carving on it with a knife.


After several minutes of sawing and shaping away, I ended up with products like this.


I made six free standing rocks like that and then paneled a platform with half pieces to make a rock garden.


And we aren't done yet. Each of the "rocks" gets covered in a special cloth and painted (that's the task today). I should mention this new skill comes with a cost however.


Being the superb klutz I am, I kept knicking my hand with the tip of the knife. Oh brother.

5) While I whittled my days away (literally) making "rocks" I couldn't help but think of Michelangelo, the famous artist. He believed sculptures resided within slabs of marble. He said his work was to find the art within. When I got tired of shaving away styrofoam, I told myself I was revealing the rock within. Doesn't that sound way more exciting, noble even? (I know. I need help.)

6) FYI--Do NOT talk to me right now about all the Christmas shopping you've finished. Aack! I don't want to hear about it. I have two stocking stuffers in a shopping cart in cyberspace and a little bit of candy stuffed in my closet (my kids better stay out of there!), but otherwise I've got nothing, nada, zip wad. You will do my sanity and nerves a favor by reserving your stories of shopping prowess for another time. Thank you very much.

7) You know it's coming, right? You can't get away from here without a plug for our musical. Sorry. It's my life right now. It's all I can think about.


I'd love to see you there. Make sure you come and say hi. I'll be swinging the power stick in the orchestra. Yee Haw!

Have a great weekend, friends.

No comments: