Friday, March 25, 2011
7 Quick Takes (Volume 126)
1) Ladies Man was being exceptionally loud at the dinner table, more loud than usual, which is saying something, let me tell you! Anyway, after a while it grated on his parents.
Me: Umm, are you done eating?
Ladies Man: Yeah.
Me: You could leave the table.
Surprisingly he didn't come back with any smart retorts, but picked up his dishes and took them to the kitchen. As Ladies Man passed him, Kevin shot me a look.
Drama Queen: Uh oh. Dad just got humongous bug eyes which means you're annoying the crap out of him!
Aren't you proud of Kevin's self-control?
2) Drummer Boy is really starting to look like a man. This is normal for a guy nearing his 21st birthday, but it took me aback when he walked in the house the other night with facial hair. It had only been a week since I'd seen him! He's experimented in the past (aka didn't feel like shaving), but never has he looked quite like this.
You can't see it in this picture, but he's also got a thin line that extends from the goatee to each side burn. I think he called it a chin strap. And the whole smack has gotten thicker in the week since this was taken. I like the look, but it's so WEIRD to have a son who's a MAN!
3) Miss Innocent One received a love letter this week, an honest-to-goodness love letter. Talk about CUTE! The 12-year-old who wrote it captured my heart with his courage, but she wasn't as impressed. She doesn't, shall we say, reciprocate his great feelings for her. She didn't buy my attempts to show her how adorable and brave the boy was instead calling the note "nasty." (Never mind that she couldn't hide her smile as she said it.) To her utter confusion, I stopped her from throwing it in the trash. I reasoned there may be a day she needs to hear she should be queen of the world because she's so amazing or that she's beautiful with a cute laugh and eyes that sparkle like diamonds. Oh my goodness, just thinking about it I'm gushing over the SWEETNESS of it! Don't you love it?!
4) Last night was parents' night for our high school drumline. Parents are invited to the last rehearsal before championships (which are Saturday) for a demonstration of what the kids have been doing all season. One tradition they chose to make private this year (my heart thanks you) is when they perform the show without the seniors. It gets emotional for all the kids seeing how the seniors will be missed. Then they get the whole group in a big circle and each senior takes a turn in the middle where people tell them what they like about them, how they've inspired them, etc. Talk about tears! I'm sure Drama Queen had a tough time with it. Does it make me a bad mother that I'm glad parents weren't allowed this year?
Anyway, I snapped a few pictures of she and her buddies before the waterworks started. Here she is with Cutie Patootie. I love this girl. Remember, Cutie Patootie, you promised you'd visit next year!
And these are the boys who join her on the snare line. Can you tell they get along pretty well?
5) My quest-to-never-be-an-episode-of-Hoarders update:
This week I cleaned off a big bookcase in Miss Innocent One's room. Also, Kevin cleaned out a spare bedroom and turned it into a guest room. It was a big job that took all weekend. Since we are one, I can get a little credit for that too, can't I?
6) Kevin got out the Chips Ahoy cookies with rainbow chips and since it's my hormonal week that makes me want to eat everything in sight, man, oh man! did those cookies look good.
Kevin: Just have one. One won't kill you.
Me: What's a serving size?
Ladies Man (reading the label): One cookie?!
Me: How many calories in one cookie?
Ladies Man: 90
Me: Not worth it. Besides it's just full of sugar and fat.
Ladies Man: Less than 1 gram protein.
Me: See? There's nothing good in there . . . except flavor.
7) If you're looking for something to do Saturday night (yes, the same night as the Drumline Championships--ugh!) and you live in my area, come check out the Homestead Choral Festival.
That's all for me today friends. Have a great weekend and be sure to read some other Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.