Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How Not To Fall


Adam and Eve lived in Eden, Paradise, the most perfect place on earth. And they were happy about it . . . until someone suggested they may be missing out on something. Suddenly all they saw was what they didn't have. Did the sneaky suggestion blind them to the beauty all around? Did they take it for granted because it was free? Why did they only want what they couldn't have?

I am no different. I get to serve God in tons of ways, yet I asked Him just today for a new opportunity. I have a healthy, strong body, but you better believe I could give you a massive list of my flaws in a heartbeat. My husband is so very good to me, loving and supportive and fun, but I could tell you without thinking what I'd like to change about him. My refrigerator is big and functions well, but I'd love a new one. Instead of appreciating what I have, I pine away for what I don't.

Why do I forget? Why do I dismiss all the good in search of something I know nothing about? Why can't I be happy with what is?

“Non-eucharisteo, ingratitude, was the fall–humanity’s discontent with all that God freely gives. That is what has scraped me raw: ungratefulness.”

Ann Voskamp

Why do I get frustrated and anxious and depressed? I overlook what is good and right in my life. My discontent stems from my lack of gratitude. I'm distracted by the possibility of new and different, of escape and ease. If I dwell there, yearning for what I don't have, I get resentful. I think I deserve better. I become proud. And then I'm in trouble.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Proverbs 16:18

Right here, right now, my life is very good. If I accomplished nothing more than what I have until now, I have lived well. And God is good. No worry, no sorrow, no inconvenience, no tragedy can erase that truth. God is good. He gives good gifts. To all His children. All the time. In all circumstances. I'll see it if I look for the good, instead of wishing for something different.

Sincere gratitude is the best way not to fall and live life to the fullest.

What does this quote stir in you? Care to share your thoughts? Please join us by linking up here:



3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Loved this post and this quote! It is so easy to get distracted and miss what we are holding in our hands. Thanks for the reminder.

Karen said...

Pathetic isn't it! One tree in a garden of trees and Adam and Eve get to thinking about what they "didn't" have. We are no different today. Thanks for hosting today, it was great.

Twinkle Mom @ Sunflower Faith said...

Oh wow..this was a fantastic but challenging quote this week..LOVE IT!