Friday, August 26, 2011
7 Quick Takes (Volume 148)
1) School is in full swing now and I'm feeling better getting into a routine. I DON'T like, however, bringing out the Homework Nazi for Ladies Man. This kid will waste time like you wouldn't believe. Suddenly after school he becomes Larry Loose Lips and has more information to share than a piano has keys. I bet I say, "Let's get on your homework," twenty times before he buckles down to it. Then he sits at the table and talks to Miss Innocent One. If I'm not sitting right next to him, there's no stopping his mouth. The other day when I could take no more of his incessant rambling to avoid homework, I got loud.
Me: DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Ladies Man: Geez. Sorry for trying to bond with you.
You think I should steer him towards a career in politics?
2) I had the living daylights scared out of me this week. They only thing stopping me from wetting myself was the fact that I had no pants on! I had just gotten out of the shower and started blow drying my hair, sans clothing (I was home by myself!), when out of the corner of my eye, I caught the figure of a man coming into the bathroom. I was so startled I think I even yelped!
It turned out to be Kevin who came home unexpectedly to pick something up. Apparently I'm not one of those natural ninja types, as the most ferocious thing I did was grasp the blow dryer with two hands. It's a good thing though or he would have lost a limb or something!
3) Wonderful news! I actually raised some produce!
Never mind that these are not supposed to be cherry tomatoes. A tomato is a tomato, right? Boo Yah! and Woo Hoo! and BOOM (That's for you Drummer Boy)!
4) You think when a child moves out of the house, they can no longer blame you for anything right? Not so, my friends, not so. Drama Queen blamed me this week on Facebook.
Drama Queen's status: Thinking this whole double credit Spanish class thing is already not so fun.
My comment (Teasing her about her terrible sense of direction): Does this mean you found it?
Drama Queen's comment back: Yes mother, and why did you talk me into double majoring with Spanish as one of them?!
How is it my fault?! Thank the good Lord for a sister-in-law who backs me up. Love you Jaime!
Jaime's comment: Because your mother is wise beyond her years and you should listen to her suggestions when it comes to college.....that's why. (love you....)
I suppose I should prepare myself for lots more blame, shouldn't I? Isn't college where discussions over the dysfunctional way they were raised become the topic of late night bonding among coeds? It has only begun. Remember, Drama Queen, I love you dearly and never meant to scar you for life.
5) With college in full swing and Drummer Boy and Drama Queen moved out, our house is amazingly quiet. I can't believe it myself, I mean, Ladies Man is naturally quite vociferous. How can it be quiet? Is it just that the volume level is normal now? I don't know, but I can't say I hate it. (Yes, I did just use a double negative to say I like the quiet. It seems to soften the blow a little. I don't want my older children thinking I don't want them around. On the contrary-- I MISS YOU GUYS!)
6) Another Drama Queen post to Facebook, this one on Ladies Man's wall. (Yes, I realize it looks like I miss my daughter and am stalking her on Facebook. Guilty. Totally. Go ahead and say it Drama Queen. Creeper!)
Drama Queen on Ladies Man's wall: Ladies Man! My everyday life is missing your loudness and spazz attacks! Come spend a weekend at Grandma's sometime with Drummer Boy so we can all hang out!
Doesn't it just warm your heart they actually like each other? And now we know the answer to the quietness in the house. Ladies Man isn't performing for Drama Queen any more!
7) Miss Innocent One can't wait to get in on the Facebook action. It's coming soon. Can you believe my baby becomes a teenager tomorrow? Happy 13th Birthday babe!
How did this happen?! Maybe this explains the strange age-spotted, graying woman staring back at me in the mirror. Ah well, whatever. You're becoming a wonderful woman, Miss Innocent One. Watching you grow up is worth every gray hair and age spot. Love you!
And so ends another week at the Boesiger house. May you all have a lovely weekend. The weather in southeast Nebraska couldn't be more perfect. Enjoy it, my friends. And when the sun goes down and you're looking for some entertainment, take a peek at more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.