Thursday, September 29, 2011

When You Don't Know What to Pray


The same old problem jolts me awake.

Again.

What is the matter with me? During the day I consciously decide to trust God, to give it to Him. It takes practice and I'm working hard at it, truly I am, but at night . . . how can I control that response? How do I stop myself from waking up worried?

I know the only answer is to pray and I do, but so many prayers have been offered about this, I'm at a loss. What more can I ask? What more can be said? Haven't I brought it all before Him many times? Doesn't He know? How is a person to pray then?

. . . the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.

Romans 8:26-27

I call upon the Holy Spirit to speak for me. Can his groans, the ones words cannot express, explain my panic, my fear, my anxiety? Can He get through to God for me? At 3:AM I am grateful I don't have to be eloquent or coherent or conjure up a right attitude. I am thankful for my Helper, my Counselor who prays for God's will when I cannot.

And as I lay quietly, waiting for the Holy Spirit to plead on my behalf, my heartbeat calms, my body relaxes.

I know God hears and a new prayer eeks out of me.

Thank You, Lord, for the incredible gift of the Holy Spirit, God inside me, my Advocate, my Prayer Partner, my Strength. Thank You for never leaving me alone.


Join other Thankful Thursday participants at Grace Alone . . .



Photo Credit: boxercab

8 comments:

Marsha Young said...

Soooo glad right along with you, that at 3:00 a.m. we do not have to "conjure up a right attitude."

Thank God for his gifts to each of us. Blessings to you - Marsha

Cin said...

Ah Friend, I too have been grateful that the Holy Spirit understands my groanings and intercedes. And the comfort that comes when I lay it completely down.
Lifting you up as high as arms can reach.
All thru Him,
Cin

Melanie said...

Why is always 3 AM? Seriously all my life I have taken great comfort in the Spirit understanding and interpreting for me.

Blessings on you and yours!

Misty said...

I often wake in the middle of the night.. I feel the jolt you write about. I am also very thankful for Holy Spirit who intercedes on our behalf. Thank you for sharing.

Misty

GranthamLynn said...

Oh Tami. What a beautiful post and wonderful reminder.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sherry

Tami said...

Marsha--I tend to be a little growly at 3:AM. How 'bout you?

Cin--Always great to see your name here. You know how to make me sigh, girl.

Melanie--Ah, you've done it too! Yay for the Holy Spirit!

Misty--Something in me wants to give you a hug right now. You know the feeling. Keep washing your mind with Scripture and let the Holy Spirit do His job. It helps.

Sherry--Truly we are never alone. Isn't that wonderful and comforting?!

Denise J. Hughes said...

I'm so thankful that my prayers need to be neither "eloquent" nor "coherent," especially at 3:00 A.M.

Amen!

Tami said...

Denise--Amen, sister!