Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Using Your Emotions


I'm a moody person.

I don't like that about myself. I'm sure my family's not crazy about it either. For most of my life I've considered it a weakness not to be steady emotionally. I fluctuate with the weather, the week of the month, the remarks of others, the climate in my house.

I feel things deeply. A lot of the time. When I'm happy, I'm nearly floaty. When I'm worried I can't sleep. When I'm bothered by a problem, it consumes my every thought. Whatever emotion I'm feeling bubbles out and takes over.

I've tried to fight it, to be more even. As I get older I recognize my patterns better and ride the wave more gracefully, but the feelings still exist.

I've asked God often what good can come from feeling so deeply. The last time I asked the question, His answer surprised me.

"USE the emotion," He said.

Use it?! Use it how?

When I'm feeling emotional I tend to be more sensitive, tender, vulnerable, gracious, compassionate. I find myself being more honest. Aren't those great assets in relating to others? When my feelings are a little raw and I'm willing to share them, people identify and rest easier knowing they're not alone. When my tears hover just below the surface, it might be a good time to listen or cry with a friend. When hearts hurt is the perfect time for a healing hug.

And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

Hebrews 13:16

When emotions feel like they're getting the best of us, what better action can we take than to use them in relating to others? Isn't it better to serve each other instead of wallowing at home alone? What other purpose do they serve?

How have you used your emotions?



Photo Credit: NemVitz

No comments: