Wednesday, January 25, 2012

To Those Who Are Victorious



I'm not a big fan of the book of Revelations. There's so much I can't figure out. The imagery, the scenes I can't comprehend, the creatures beyond description--they make me feel stupid. So when I came to the end of my Read-Through-the-Bible-in-a-Year plan, I wasn't looking to forward to my last week. I dreaded wading through stuff I didn't understand.

But as is often the case, God surprised me.

Right away he gave me exactly what I needed. The end of the year with its non-stop activities and expectations, sapped me. I wanted to hide away for weeks, far from responsibilities and needs and people. I wanted a break from life. And then I read these in one of my least favorite books of the Bible.

To everyone who is victorious I will give fruit from the tree of life in the paradise of God. (2:7)

Whoever is victorious will not be harmed by the second death. (2:11)

To everyone who is victorious I will give some of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven. And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it. (2:17)

To all who are victorious, who obey me to the very end, to them I will give authority over all the nations. They will rule the nations with an iron rod and smash them like clay pots. They will have the same authority I received from my Father, and I will also give them the morning star! (2:26-28)

All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and His angels that they are mine. (3:5)

All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God, and they will never have to leave it. And I will write on them the name of my God, and they will be citizens in the city of my God--the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And I will also write on them my new name. (3:12)

Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on His throne. (3:21)


Though I don't grasp it completely, those who are victorious are in store for some pretty awesome things, don't you think? If I can hang in there I will eat from the tree of life. I will have authority. I will never leave His Temple. I will sit with Jesus on His throne! It blows my mind.

And motivates me to get up again and keep going.

To those who are victorious . . . great blessing. I will persevere.

Does this motivate you to press on?



Photo Credit: SantiMB

No comments: