Friday, September 07, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Volume 200)


1) 200 volumes of Quick Takes! And you're still here?! What is the matter with you? Seriously?

2) We had a fantastic time at the Husker football opening game. It was so exciting to see our kids marching together in the band. Don't they look awesome?! (Drummer Boy is the middle guy with the beard. Drama Queen is on the right end.)
Drummer Boy leading the pack.
Drama Queen, cool as a cucumber for her first game in front of 85,000 people.
This is what they stepped onto the field to at game time. Get a load of that crowd!
Kevin and I decided it was definitely one of those parenting high days, but also a parenting low as sitting through the very hot game was BRUTAL! But we'd do it again a hundred times to see our Drama Queen's first game and Drummer Boy's first crack at section leader. To say we are proud of them is an understatement.
3) The morning of game day, Drama Queen's Facebook status caught my attention.

OHMYGOSHIT'SGAMEDAY!!! DRUHMMMZZZZ.LEVEL 10.HYYYYPPPEEEE.SNAREDRUM.SO PUMPED.HUSKERS. HolycrudImightactuallypeemypants. GBR!! :D

I figured she was super nervous and I couldn't wait to see her and share the excitement. As we made our way to the stadium, Drummer Boy called us to remind us of the warmup time for the drummers and I asked how she was doing. Apparently I was slightly pumped myself as moments later I heard him say, "I don't know what she's saying," and he handed the phone to his sister.

Drama Queen (think deadpan, obligatory speaking to your mother): Hi Mom.

Me: Oh my goodness, how are you? Are you totally freaking out? I saw your Facebook status. Can you hardly take it? Where are you now? Have you eaten anything? Are you about ready to explode?

Drama Queen: Mother! I can't understand a word you are saying in that high-pitched, fast voice! All I'm hearing is (she proceeded to make squeaky noises). Calm down!

And I could just imagine her pulling the phone away from her ear and the two of them rolling their eyes at their out-of-control mother. I've always hated her calling me a meerkat because I'm "twitchy," but maybe this is where she gets it.

Forgive me, my darling offspring, my mama buttons were popping big time. How can you blame me? I think it's YOUR fault.

4) Ladies Man spent Labor Day cooking with his girlfriend. Later we found the most amazing chocolate cheesecake in our refrigerator.

Me: I want to be mad she left that in there. It's too tempting!

Ladies Man: She's a good cook. A really good cook. It's like a bonus feature.

So, here's a shout out to Ladies Man's girlfriend. Rest assured that he likes you first for your many other wonderful qualities. Your cooking is just a "bonus feature."

5) And speaking of said cheesecake, GRACIOUS!!!!, did that thing cause me angst this week! Every time I entered the kitchen I remembered its chocolately smoothness, its inviting cookie crumb crunch, its complete richness and decadence. Usually I don't have a terrible time saying no to sweets, but this thing did me in. And why is it my family forgets these delicious delicacies exist and leave them alone so that they whisper sweet nothings to me every time I open the refrigerator?

Finally by Thursday, after three days of shaving off bites for myself at every turn, I reminded Kevin the dessert wonder was still there and we finished off the last piece and a half together.

Me: I'm so glad you helped me eat that. Really. It needed to be gone.

Kevin: Anything for you, babe.

Which planted something new in my brain I can't let go. ANYTHING?! Oooh, surely I can capitalize on his moment of weakness. Any ideas, friends?

6) Is there any wonder my children are completely crazy when their father makes statements like this?

Kevin: God must have a sense of humor. Why would He allow people to fart? I mean, what is that about? What is the purpose? Does He chuckle when we do it?

I don't know about God, but I chuckle every time you do it now, my love, thinking of this!

7) Miss Innocent One: I think I grew overnight.

Me: Really? How can you tell?

Miss Innocent One: I don't know. I just feel more stretched out, you know?

Me (wanting to suggest she was finally taking my advice about standing straighter but using self-control to censor myself): Oh?

Miss Innocent One: Plus I feel skinnier today which means I must be taller, right?

Hmmm. I don't know, but if it makes my 14-year-old stress less about her body I'm in. Yes. I DO think you look taller.

And there you have it--daughters growing overnight, sons whose girlfriends come with bonus features, kids with super duper drumming skills and poise, overstimulated mothers and flatulent fathers. Truly, there's never a dull moment at our house.

Have a great weekend, my friends, and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

becky aka theRAV said...

LOL I love this! Too funny. I came back because of last Thursdays TT post where you said how your son had matured. I have to tell you last Friday, I took my son to Burger King where he still gets a kids meal. It came with a toy. I noticed he ate first totally ignoring toy. I told him he was growing up. He reached for the toy. It was an artistic one. He put aside. I picked it up and started drawing! I realized that toy was meant for me. LOL Even adults have to revert back to childhood sometimes.

My son is in his high school band also so I could so relate to this post. What a great looking family ya'll make.

Kathleen Basi said...

Christian took our boys to a game this weekend, but here it was pouring down rain. I was just as happy to be out of it. :) But boy, I do miss seeing the marching band!

jen said...

#1: you blog about different things than everyone else does. about 95% of the blogs are about homeschooling and being a conservative catholic. you're different -- it's why i read you every week.

(i'm one of the other protestants.)