Friday, November 30, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Volume 212)


1) It was super to have Drummer Boy and Drama Queen home over Thanksgiving weekend. There's nothing quite as heartwarming as having all the chicks in the nest together.

Proving that boys will be boys, on Thanksgiving night I found Drummer Boy and Ladies Man in the "man cave" (aka, the attic) playing, not Xbox as I expected, but with their old Bionicle figures. Later they got the Legos out. The next morning I found this on my dining room table.


They stayed up until 3:30 AM playing Legos! These guys are 22 and 17!

But hey, I could think of a lot worse things they could be doing at that hour.

2) Kevin ran through the Burger King drive-thru and ordered an original chicken sandwich meal with onion rings.

BK Worker: Would you like cheese or bacon on that sandwich?

Kevin: No thanks.

We pulled up to the window and got his food.

Kevin (to me): I'm going healthy today.

Me: Oh yeah?

Kevin: I passed on the cheese.

Kudos, Mr. Healthypants. I'm so proud.

3) Drummer Boy and Drama Queen are headed to Indianapolis today for the Big Ten Championship game. One of the perks of being in the band is fun trips like this. Makes those cold mornings for 6:30 a.m. rehearsals worth it. It's a grueling schedule, though. They travel all day Friday. Leave for a rehearsal Saturday morning at 6, have a few hours of down time in the middle of the day and then it's off for performances before the game around 4:PM. They're gone until after 1:AM Sunday. They sleep a little and get back on the bus for the long ride home.

This is the stuff college is made of, isn't it? I must be getting old. Sounds exhausting to me.

4) I read a book this summer called Born to Run. I bought it thinking it would teach me something about better technique and help me like running. Sadly, it didn't help. I actually gave up running because the people they talk about in this book just LOVE it. They say you should run for the sheer joy of it. They think the longer you go the better. I am not one of them. I apparently was not born to run.

But one positive DID come out of reading this book. The author discusses the issue of shoes a lot. He studies a remote tribe in Mexico who run for like 50-100 miles every day wearing only flat pieces of leather like a sandal. When "professionals" fit them with shoes, they started having more injuries. The theory is that our feet are too comfy. We aren't training them to naturally adapt to the surface they are on. Our shoes prevent our feet from finding the proper footing. I thought it an interesting idea, so I started exercising this summer without my shoes. I was doing the P90X video series with a couple of friends and it was easy to not wear shoes in each others' houses. I noticed my balance got a little better. My arches and knees didn't bother me as much either.

But this fall I started mixing up my exercise routine, working out at the gym and attending jazzercise, and I noticed the knee and arch pain returning. At jazzercise I start with my shoes off, but only make it through a few songs before I kick them off. It just feels better! One morning I was working out at my local YMCA on a new stairmaster/crosstrainer kind of machine and my shoes were bugging me, so I took them off. There were ridges in the foot pedals that kinda smarted at first, but I got used to it and didn't think anything of it until I got home and my foot was killing me. When I checked it out, I found a blood blister the size of a dime!

What is a person to do? Wear shoes and have knee and arch pain or wear no shoes and pulverize the bottom of your feet? I'm at a loss. I wish I could find some athletic shoes with a super thin sole, something that basically protects the skin of your foot. My boys have those toe shoes I've considered getting. I don't know. Any suggestions?

5) The whole family is getting into my Aqua Notes. It's the gift that keeps on giving, I tell you. I found this message left by Drama Queen.


The next day I found this note from Princess Dawdle (formerly known as Miss Innocent One).


Know what I think is weird? How similar their handwriting looks!

6) We had a super fun media frenzy last night at our musical rehearsal (yeah, it was something like that). First a reporter from our local paper came over to interview us about our upcoming Christmas musical. A few moments later a television reporter from Channel 10/11 in Lincoln was down for his own interviews. Both stayed and snapped some pictures and videos of some scenes and will be doing a feature on it.

So look for us in the Beatrice Daily Sun some time in the near future (maybe even today). Then catch us next Wednesday evening on the 6:PM Channel 10/11 newscast for a segment called Lance's journal. They will also be airing it Thursday morning on their 5 and 5:30 AM newscasts.

Don't worry if you miss it. You know next week's Quick Takes will contain links!

7) And speaking of said musical, it's that time of year again. We open in less than a week. If you live nearby, won't you think of coming to see us?


Have a super weekend, friends and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.

No comments: