Wednesday, November 14, 2012

If we just wait long enough . . .


Over the years I prayed a lot about my relationship with my dad. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't . . . well, good. I was never Daddy's Little Girl, or if I was, I never felt it. I could count on him to take care of my car, but we didn't communicate really. Time alone with him felt awkward. We were there for each other, but didn't really know each other. Anything he knew about me came through Mom.

When my parents divorced, it was new territory for us. I had to force myself to call him, and honestly didn't do it like I should have. He was actually more faithful than me. We'd have an uncomfortable ten minute conversation every couple of weeks and that was that.

But I kept praying about it. We both kept trying. Finally, MANY years later, while he was fighting cancer, we were forced together intimately, driving to and from doctors, tests, treatments. We talked like never before, perhaps knowing it was our last chance, and came to an understanding about each other. I think he "got" me before he died. I treasure that time to this day. It took a while, but God answered my prayers.

I've seen similar results in other circumstances. When we were first married, we were so poor, I prayed for God to rescue us. But He had better plans. He taught us to rely on Him and provided everything we needed along the way and slowly gave us more as we followed His lead. I've prayed for my relationship with my brothers for what seems like forever. A big age span has kept us in different life stations for most of our lives, but just this week one called to see what I thought about an issue he was struggling with. I never thought I'd see that happen. We talked freely and comfortably and spiritually. So amazing. I've prayed for things for my kids for YEARS. Some I've seen happen. Some not. But as I watch God's work unfold I am always left amazed at how He's orchestrated it perfectly.

I'd be the first person to admit I get frustrated with God's timing. I want release from the burden NOW, not in ten years. But one thought has encouraged me lately.

Is it just a matter of time before we see God work? If we hang in there long enough, will we be satisfied? Will it make sense some day, either here or in heaven? Are we too impatient? If we just wait long enough, will we see His deliverance, His restoration? Do we give up too easy?

Or do we lack imagination? Do we miss His hand because we're looking for something different? Is He showing Himself, but our human eyes are too dim to notice?

Is ten years too long to wait? Three weeks? Eight months? A lifetime? If we desire God's perfect plan, His masterpiece, shouldn't we give the Master time to work? Would rushing it ruin the beauty? God is not bound by time like we are.

With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

He could answer our prayer in 20 years. Or it could be tomorrow.

And so we wait.

For His PERFECT way.

For what is faith if it isn't tested? How do we gain trust by never having to rely on Him? If we keep believing, keep praying, persistently and fervently, is it only a matter of time until God answers? Not until He grants our wishes, but until He answers, with a yes or a no. If we don't lose heart, if we keep coming near, won't the answer come eventually?

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

Psalm 27:13-14
I am confident that God is working, friends. Even when we can't see it. Time is nothing to Him. We just have to wait. And if we just wait long enough . . .

Perfection.



Photo Credit: Jose Luis Mieza Photography

No comments: