Wednesday, January 09, 2013

The Only Way To Know God


Though I've read the passage many times, the verse stopped me.

You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. (John 15:3)

Already clean?

Not understanding, I followed my footnotes and cross references.

Jesus prayed, "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:17)

The Word cleans, sanctifies.

He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. (James 1:18)

The Word cleans, sanctifies, gives us birth.

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23)

Clean. Sanctified. Given birth through. Born again.

Through the Word.

Yet again, I am reminded there is no substitution for the Word of God, no better way to find Him, no other method to improve our relationship with the Holy One, especially when you consider John 1 tells us Jesus IS the Word.

When I come to my Bible, God's Word, I come to Jesus. I am made new, washed, holy-fied, all things I can't do myself. All that from a few minutes of reading each day?! Why would I put it off?

What better way to start a new year than to get to know God more intimately? What else promises new life? Will you join me this year in seeking the elusive and resting in God's presence? Will you commit to cracking open your Bible faithfully and mining its treasures?

It's the only way to know God.



Photo Credit: Savio Sebastian

No comments: