Friday, November 29, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Volume 259)



I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving. We spent a lovely day at Kevin's parents' house. Good food, good conversation, a really good day.


I've been pondering the meaning of life lately and one night my angst slipped out at dinner.

Me: Why should a person dream, really? What's the use of having big dreams if God's gonna do what He's gonna do? Why work that hard?

My 18-year-old son didn't miss a beat. With no pause whatsoever he made a profound statement.

Ladies Man: How about just for the enjoyment of it? It makes life fun and exciting.

And I realized my son has real joy. He thoroughly relishes life and his attitude is somewhat contagious. People of all ages love being around him. He's fun and creative and his enthusiasm makes others happy.

I need to get me some of that. Thanks for the beautiful example, son.


Leave it to daughters to make you feel better about yourself. After dinner where I vocalized the pointlessness of dreams and feeling like a fat hog, my daughters tried to cheer me up.

Princess Dawdle: Are you okay, Mom? You're saying things like why should a person dream and talking about being a fat hog.

Me (still feeling like a fat hog): I'm fine. I think I'm gonna put my pajamas on already though. These jeans make me feel like a fat hog.

Princess Dawdle: You're not a fat hog, Mom.

Me (to Drama Queen): You know what else made me feel like a fat hog? Those jeans you said are WAY too big on you? I thought since they were too big for you they might fit me so I tried them on and they were too tight.

Drama Queen: Mom, that's just because you have a large butt.

I stared in disbelief for a second, then blinked a few times. I think the crickets started chirping too.

Me: Thanks?

Drama Queen: It's not a bad thing.

Me: Oh no, course not.

Drama Queen: No, really. You just have a big butt.

Cue blinking and chirping again.

Drama Queen: No, Mom. It's a good thing. I tell all my friends you have a good butt.

Me: Mmmm hmmmm.

Drama Queen: Dad, help me out here. Doesn't Mom have a good big butt?

Kevin wisely stayed mute.

Drama Queen: No, you're taking this all wrong. It's good, like voluptuous. I wish I had more of your butt.

I think I do too. Apparently I have plenty to spare!


I am a model mother. Truly I am. Look at the amazing hemming job I did on Ladies Man's pants.


Yep, you're looking at bright blue duct tape, people. And it lasted a whole ten minutes! He is such a lucky kid.


A commercial for Village Inn pies came on and Kevin couldn't help but utter a "mmmmm."

Princess Dawdle: Pssht.

Kevin: What?

Princess Dawdle: Mmmmm?

Me (to Princess Dawdle): You know, you used to be the only kid that liked us and now you're mocking us like the rest of them.

Princess Dawdle: Just because we mock you doesn't mean we don't like you.

She walked across the room and practically laid on top of her father.

Princess Dawdle: No worries, Daddy-o. I love you.


Drummer Boy had a five year class reunion from high school this week. How can I have a kid who's been OUT of high school five years?!

I guess it's the week for making me feel old. I couldn't fit into Drama Queen's jeans, Drummer Boy had a class reunion and I switched to progressive lenses in my glasses.

And yes, of course, my kids are mocking me for that too. Whatever. I'm still kicking kids! I am who I am. Ladies Man has convinced me I need to embrace it and find the joy in it. I'm going to start calling my big butt my "booty" because that sounds way sexier. And I'm going to stick my head in the sand and pretend people would be surprised I have a son who's been out of high school for five years. And I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my glasses because now I can see. RAWR!


We've got a BIG WEEK coming up. Next weekend is our Christmas musical at church so we'll be super busy preparing. We'd love to have you come out and see us if you live close. And don't leave without saying hello if you do. I'll be swinging the power stick in the orchestra pit.



Have a great weekend, friends and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

No comments: