Friday, October 17, 2014

7 Quick Takes (Volume 296)







I was a happy, happy mama as all my chicks congregated for Sunday dinner last weekend. Our parents and the significant others joined us for a rip roaring good time. I must admit, however, that I have to readjust some to the noise level when they're all home again. Do you know how hard it is to follow all the conversations going on at a table for 11? How did I live with so much commotion every day for so many years? How can I already be getting used to a degree of solitude?

And when can we do it again? Love you guys!






For DECADES I whined to Kevin about how unfair it is that he can eat ANYTHING and not worry about it. And I mean ANYTHING. I spent so many years being SO JEALOUS. Until I finally accepted it's just how it is and quit my complaining, I never made any headway in my own weight loss goals. I thought I was over it. Mostly. But this week I was reminded of the disparity in our eating choices when I stopped and looked at what we had on our plates for lunch.

Here's my lunch: leftover chicken pesto over wild rice accompanied by carrots and avocado slices.


And for Kevin? Two hot dogs smothered in chili and cheese and chased down with a hearty serving of Cheetos.


It still doesn't seem fair, but I can honestly say his lunch did NOT appeal to me. That's progress for me, right? And maybe a coronary for Kevin. Yikes.






Drama Queen got me hooked on old episodes of Parenthood this summer. Now that the new season has started, I miss having her around for her color commentary. She's been too busy to watch "with" me so I've been texting her my updates to let her know what's going on. Last week's "updates" went something like this.

Me: Sarah's boyfriend totally fits her . . . mumbling, interrupts with "i know" and "I mean" and nothing crap. Ugh.

If you've watched this show you know the weird speech trait I'm speaking of--Sarah's whole family can't seem to complete a sentence without starting and stopping with absolutely nothing and they end up not really communicating at all.

Drama Queen: Hahaha new boyfriend or still dopey teacher guy with a mustache?

Me: Ray Romano weird photographer guy. And Grandpa's having surgery and they're all acting like he'll never make it. Oh brother . . .

Drama Queen: Oh she's dating the photographer . . . creepy. How long are they gonna drag out the surgery? Geesh.

Me: Amber and her brother went to Wyoming to find her boyfriend, Ryan, the one she called Buddy. (Side note: How weird is that? Who calls their boyfriend Buddy?!) She told him she was pregnant and he was really happy. And Ruby (creepy photographer's daughter) shoplifted lipstick.

Drama Queen: Oh the drama!

Me: Crosby just got mad and left the hospital on his motorcycle and lost control. He's sitting on the side of the road clutching his leg.

Drama Queen: Oh for the love!

Me: Julia just told Joel she was seeing someone right after he was calling to see how she was while waiting on her dad's surgery. Last week we found out he was the one who left. Wow, a smart moment for Amber. She just told Ryan they couldn't be together. And Crosby stumbled in. Here's the surgeon. Grandpa's surgery was good.

Drama Queen: Joel left? Like just moved out or what? What was Amber's reasoning for not being with Ryan?

Me: Idk what happened with Joel. And oh brother we're stretching out this surgery business soooo long. Ryan is strung out on prescription drugs. She was gonna stay in Wyoming until her brother told her she couldn't change Ryan.

Drama Queen: Atta boy, Drew!

Me: He's got the weird family speech trait but he has a good head on his shoulders.

I could go on and on. And did. Can you say soap opera?! Yes. But it is so much fun to hash it out with Drama Queen. I don't know what it is about this show, but they manage to bring me to tears in nearly every episode, even if they are a little dysfunctional and I want to smack half of them.

Maybe they make me feel better about my own dysfunction. Let's not think about it too much.






And speaking of Drama Queen, I came home Wednesday to find this on my Facebook wall.

Drama Queen: Mom, I don't wanna adult anymore. It's dumb.

Sorry, sister. It happens to the best of us!






Princess Dawdle has inherited her father's penchant for driving me crazy leaving little bits of food that no one wants to finish.


It's hardly a spoonful! What is the point of that?! Don't they know that little spoonful is going to call my name all day? And I'll consider it because it's just a little. I'll pass through the kitchen and think, "Hey, I could finish that. It's not too much. Couldn't be that many calories." And then I'm forced to eat it and left with guilt the rest of the day.

Don't these people realize what they're doing to me?!!! Just finish the stuff off, people! Don't torment me like this!






Have you seen the new Starbucks ads? They are totally capitalizing on the "Do we know how to relate to each other anymore?" dialogue and suggesting real live communication. At Starbucks, of course. I just love it.


What do you think?






Princess Dawdle makes her debut as a Tot in her high school's production of Wizard of Oz tomorrow. Think, "We represent the Lullaby League, the Lullaby League, the Lullaby League . . . " I'm looking forward to seeing her little dance on her knees. It's super funny to think of my daughter who's a teeny bit taller than me playing a munchkin. Break a leg, babe! Show times are Saturday and Sunday at 2. Monday and Tuesday evening at 7. It should be a good time!



And with that we're calling this done, folks. I hope you have super weekend and read more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary.



5 comments:

jen said...

With Drama Queen on this one -- adulting is hard!

Keith Morris said...

You Read it Right! We are here to help you with your queries on your assignments. We are providing you with a world-class and Highly Talented Assignment Writer.

Adam Lee said...

The growth of the carbon nanotubes market is affected by the cost structure of carbon nanotubes, processing difficulties, and availability of substitutes such as silicon carbide nanotubes (SiCNTs).

Also read: acetic anhydride market | Tobacco Market

Tophomeworkhelper said...

James Baldwin is a PhD degree holder in Psychology and an academic Blogger. he is also an academic writer working at Tophomeworkhelper.com for a legit company, and provides his guidance To students with their studies. Students who are looking for professional Support must contact him. we are giving home work service , you can Get 30% discount on academic service. we have 3500 professionals, Who are working 24/7 for home work help. online home work help is Available on our website, with one click you can get all home work Service. please visit our website and get offer and discount. information security assignment help, php assignment help, homework writers, python programming assignment help,

Cyfuture Cloud said...

very informative and impressive article. Thanks for sharing with us
cyfuture cloud