Thursday, October 16, 2014

What The Kids Don't Take When They Leave

Suddenly the bathroom is all mine. The house is quiet. I can come and go as I please.

My kids are growing up and leaving me.

I never thought this day would come. As a young mother with four little kids I couldn’t imagine an hour of quiet. A full night’s sleep only occurred in my dreams. I felt destined to endless days of whining and poop and snot. I thought my life would be on hold forever.

And now my children are gradually migrating, leaving a slow leak in my heart. I just moved my third kid to college. There’s only one left. How did this happen? How am I supposed to switch gears when my life has revolved around these people? For a quarter of a century I’ve run every decision through the sieve of them and now I’m expected to just let them go?

Find the rest of the post at Deeper Waters.


No comments: