Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Overwhelmed

The Christian Women Online Blog Ring I belong to has been encouraging people to consider writing down 1000 gifts they have received from God. Click on the link below to find out more about it.



I've been thinking about doing this for weeks, but haven't gotten on the stick yet. Don't panic, I'm not about to put 1000 gifts in this one post, but my thoughts have been focused on God's goodness today as I think about Thanksgiving. Here's my top ten.

1. I am thankful to be married to a godly man who loves me on my good AND bad days. I am awed at how God has equipped us with complimentary gifts that allow us to bring out the best in each other.

2. I marvel at my children, all unique and amazing in their own ways. I am thankful for a teenaged son who works very hard to honor his parents despite pressure from his friends. My heart is grateful for my eighth-grade daughter who displays discernment, compassion, leadership and wisdom. I am proud of my 11-year-old who isn't afraid to be his own person and think outside of the box. My spirit is refreshed by my little girl who always has a skip in her step, a smile, a hug, a kiss and special little surprises.

3. I appreciate parents who are supportive, but let us live our own lives, cheering us on all the way.

4. I am thankful for my sister who was has been so many of my firsts--playmate, enemy, ally and forever friend and for my brothers who are closet softies with tender hearts.

5. I am privileged to have relationships with the most amazing women. They have made me laugh, understood me, listened to me, loved me and enriched my life in countless ways.

6. I love having sisters-in-law who are dear friends and fit right into #5.

7. I am indebted to many Christian brothers and sisters who have loved me and humbled me with their care and prayers.

8. I am grateful for many opportunities to serve my Lord.

9. I am absolutely blown away by the grace of God this Thanksgiving. The past year has been a tough one for me personally, especially the last few months, yet even in the darkest times, God has been so faithful. I am grateful for His grace and forgiveness. I am thankful for the precious promises in His Word sustaining me through many days when I couldn't hear Him or feel His presence. He gave me little nudges when I needed them and arms to cry in when it got to be too much. I am flabbergasted at how His answers to prayer are perfect, especially when those answers were hard to hear. He has taught me waiting may not be fun, but is necessary to grow me up and fulfill His plans for me. He has sustained me with added strength through the prayers of others. HE IS TOO MUCH!!

10. Finally, I am thankful for you, friend. God sees you, God hears you, God fights for you as He has for me. Believe it. Hold on to it. He knows your struggles. He knows your failures and He loves you anyway. Thank Him for the good AND the bad. Nothing is a mistake. Everything makes you into the person He has intended. Lean His way. Consider His words true. Be patient as He does His thing with you. It will be worth it. One day you will be overwhelmed with Him as I am.

May you have a blessed Thanksgiving, recognizing the gifts of our Lord.

2 comments:

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Thankfulness... it is a quite a way of LIVING, ins't it?

Thank you for joining us ~warmsmile~

All is grace,
Ann V.

Kara Bird said...

I read this around Thanksgiving and didn't get to comment on it until now. (Sorry... that's terrible.) But it was such a good reminder. If we don't take time to stop and do it, it will never get done. Thanks for your thoughts as always friend. :)