Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Weary of the Journey



"We are urgent about the body; He is about the soul. We call for present comforts; He considers our everlasting rest. And therefore when He sends not the very things we ask, He hears us by sending greater than we can ask or think."

~ Richard Cecil ~


I'm feeling grouchy today.

And weary.

And downright depressed.

Can I be honest? I'm tired of God's training program. I don't feel cut out for it. There is too much pain on earth, too much to worry about, too many people with needs, too much to do. I completely understand living here is God's way of preparing us for heaven, but what do you do when you're ready to leave earth, when it feels like you don't have the guts for it anymore? Honestly, if I didn't feel such responsibility for my kids, I'd beg Him to take me home now.

But God is all-knowing. He KNOWS we're going to feel like this sometimes. He knows us so much better than we know ourselves. So I wonder, how does this pain prepare us for eternity? How does this make our souls ready for an everlasting future with Him?

There is no way to know. Dang, that chaps my hide!!!! Yet again, God says, "Trust Me." Hmm. . .a moment of decision. Of course I will choose Christ. Because I love God so much and know life without Him would be unbearable, I will trust Him. I will believe He is working for my best. I will anticipate with great longing my eternal home, but I can't give up here. I will keep doing what He has asked me to do. I will reach for Him in my darkness and press on in His grace.

Sing a little chorus with me to our Lord, would you?

"There is none like You.
No one else can touch my heart like You do.
I could search for all eternity long and find
there is none like You."

He is worth the pain. He is my sustainer. I will get through. Thank You, Lord Jesus.




Visit Finding Joy in the Morning to see what other women thought about this quote.

9 comments:

Susannah said...

So sorry you're so low. I'm praying for an uplifting day for you. Maybe a short nap would help? (((Hugs))) e-Mom

Becky said...

Life without God would be unbearable. Sooo true! Thanks for a great post.

Denise said...

Bless you, I am saying prayers for you.

Janean said...

OH yes!! That is one of my favorite choruses!! Thanks for reminding me of how blessed my heart is when I sing it.
I am right there with you! Often I get upset with God...it is downright scary to stumble along feeling like a blind person not knowing what is ahead; only reaching ahead with my foot tapping to see if there is solid footing. Reaching out with my hands, groping so I can know if I'm going to slam into anything. He wants me to take His hand and let Him lead me, but often I don't until I am so scared I can't stand it anymore.
Let's press on together. I'll pray for you! :D
Have an awesome week.

Anonymous said...

We all go through this at some time so you are not alone. I remember telling God I wish I didn't believe in Him so I could walk away. But I do believe in Him and I just cried out to Him and He gave me rest.
Father I ask that you bless this child of yours with the peace and rest she needs. Bring her joy and strength. Let her feel Your presence and energize her. Thank you Father.
In Jesus Name I Pray, Amen

Miriam Pauline said...

((HUGS)) Sounds like we are both dealing with training days. Thank you for the encouragement on my site yesterday. Praying today is a better day for you.

Anonymous said...

Isn't there always negative energy around us....ready to suck us down? I think so, which leaves us feeling grouchy, down, and depressed. How many positive things has God put in our lives? So many, we can't even count them. When I begin to feel negative thoughts, I ask God to take them and replace them with positive, energy boosting thoughts. Praise God for how He takes care of all parts of our lives!
JH

Diane Viere said...

Your honesty is refreshing....and freeing. Doesn't it feel good to just speak the truth--to be fully known by God...giving it all....whatever IT is...and surrendering it to His will and purpose.

I hope you are feeling better really soon and you will be blessed with a renewal and strength of mind, body, soul, and spirit.

Diane

Rachelle said...

Tami, I'm back to blogging and I've just spent some time trying to catch up on your posts. Wow. Some really great stuff here. I wish I had time to comment on every single thing!

Now, about this particular post... I wonder if you're putting too much of the "blame" for this painful and difficult life on God? This is sticky theology here... I know that God ordains or allows difficult things to come into believers' lives... but I know he didn't intend any of this madness. He doesn't really want us to hurt and suffer. I think the pain and difficulty is a result of a fallen world that is continuing to fall and get worse and worse. Is it all part of God's training program? Well, I don't think it's some sort of "school of hard knocks" that he's set up for us. I think he's allowed us free will and we've messed up the world and so our lives have become very difficult. BUT he does use all of that for our good. God doesn't "want" sin to happen and he doesn't want his children to be in pain. But when we do anyway as a result of sin -- he uses it for our good.

You asked, how does this pain prepare us for eternity? Well maybe it's so when we get to the pain-free place, we'll know the difference!

Just my two cents.