Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ancient, but Never Old



Though he was trying to be compassionate and supportive, it had been a long week for me and his words only ticked me off. What he was saying was too cut and dried, too simple. Life is just not that easy and I couldn't let him be right. I found myself being belligerent just for the sake of showing him he didn't have all the answers. By the time we finished talking, I had to leave the room to cool off.

Two days later in church, I still felt grumbly about the whole scene. Our pastor was preaching out of 1 Timothy 2. Reading verse 8 he said, "I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing." It zinged straight to my heart. It was not right to feel this animosity. The man I bantered with was in that very room. How could we be unified and "lift up holy hands" together in worship when all I wanted to do was prove him wrong? God's Word was telling me to make things right.

I wish I could say I did it that very day, but I didn't. I wasn't sure what to say to him. I wasn't sure he even knew how angry I had been, so I decided to take some to pray about it (a euphemism for dragging my feet?). But God didn't let me off the hook. He told me exactly what He expected when my reading "fell" into 2 Timothy 2. The interchange between God and I went something like this:

God in 2 Timothy 2:14: ". . .Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen."

Me: Okay, I'll quit trying to prove him wrong.

God in 2 Timothy 2:15: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved. . ."

Me: Did You not approve of my behavior the other night?

God in 2 Timothy 2:23-24: "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful."

OUCH! Okay, I was not right, but God wasn't finished. He brought the point home when He showed me Colossians 3:12-14:

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all the virtues put on love which binds them all together in perfect unity.


"Ancient Words, ever true
Changing me and changing you
We have come with open hearts
O let the ancient words impart."

~ Lynn DeShazo~


God's ancient words never lose their relevancy. They convict, they transform, they change those who listen and take them to heart. Try them for yourself.



Visit Joy in the Morning for more impressions of this quote.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another OUCH! I could fit into this story too! Thank you for sharing and the encouragement to make things right. :)

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

The process you show of the transforming power of the Scripture is soooo good. That's exactly how it works isn't it??

Enjoyed your post!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

I enjoyed your insight , post and wonderful scripture. Thank you for sharing your story.

In his endless love,

Angel ():) Pearls of Wisdom

Delete said...

Tami-Are you sure you were describing yourself in the first paragraph? I could have sworn you were describing the way I act towards my husband occasionally. Thank you for pointing me to verses I can use when this situation arises again.

Jenny

Denise said...

I really enjoyed your post, thanks for sharing.

Rachelle said...

As usual, your post cut straight to my heart. I love your take on this! "What he was saying was just too cut and dried...Life is just not that easy and I couldn't let him be right." Wow, are you channeling me or what?

When people try to make everything too simple, it drives me crazy and I, too, can get belligerent. Thanks for the insight and gentle reminder.

Anonymous said...

Can you hear me singing "Ancient words, ever true....Changing me and changing you..." Thanks for putting this in my head and into my heart today! Just what I needed!

~Emiley

Kara Bird said...

God's Word is truly amazing. Thanks for always being willing to share your struggles too. It makes the rest of us glad we're not the only ones. ;)

~Kara