Saturday, April 07, 2007

In the Stands and Cheering Loudly


I am so blessed.

Easter, several years back, I kept vigil outside the room of my friend's sick baby, praying he would survive the night. Now he's a happy, active eight-year-old who keeps up quite nicely with his older siblings. Wow, God, look what You did.

I watched my mother care for my father in his last days even though they'd been divorced thirteen years. Wow, God, look what You did.

As she walked down the aisle to marry the man who clearly adores her, my lip trembled and eyes filled recalling our many conversations about waiting on God's timing. Wow, God, look what You did.

I worried she would self-destruct and wondered if she would survive these years, all the while trying to convince her God has plans for her life. As the new year began, all the prayers uttered in her behalf were answered when she suddenly gained new strength to fight. Wow, God, look what You did.

We prayed over the phone at two o'clock in the morning because she was so scared her marriage wasn't going to make it. And now, three years later they are together and better than ever. There are still fears for his salvation, but God has given her glimpses of His work in her husband's life. She chooses to trust His plan and tries her best to be patient. Wow, God, look what You did (and look what You're doing).

I choked back sobs as her husband explained that the dead baby his wife delivered that day was a girl I knew they desperately wanted to add to their family of three boys. A few years later, God has given them TWO beautiful little girls for their sons to show off and all to enjoy. Wow, God, look what You did.

Lying in bed next to the most amazing man, I remember myself decades ago, a shy, fat girl fearing this would never be my life. Wow, God, look what You did.

After two YEARS of paperwork and delays and doubts and fears and much trepidation and prayer, she walked down the long hallway carrying the precious Chinese girl she now calls her daughter, smiling proudly, an image that will be forever etched in my mind. Wow, God, look what You did.

And now, this weekend, I remember the greatest miracle of all. The Son of God came down to earth and said, "We don't want to lose you," and gave His life to spare mine. Honestly, I have the hardest time comprehending what He did. I don't understand all the ramifications of it, but I get it enough to think Wow, God, look what You did.

God is still in the business of miracles, people. I pray we recognize His hand.

Happy Easter!


Photo Credit: markybon.

2 comments:

Kara Bird said...

We don't stop enough to say wow do we? Thanks for all the reminders of how many times a day we can stop and say, "Wow God, look what you did." Wonderful thoughts friend! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! God is so good! It's awesome to find God in everything!

JH