Monday, August 27, 2007

On the Way to Us

We would walk into Village Inn laughing so hard, people would turn to look. Then we'd get a piece of French silk pie and talk for hours about life and how God works. He listened. He talked. He laughed. He made me comfortable. He thought what I had to say was important and funny.

We were content to spend an evening making cookies and talking until very, very late, which made his grandma think I was a hussy. I PROMISE we were only talking until 3:AM! Laughter and conversation has always been the hallmark of our relationship. We have always been friends first.

But he was a romantic too, sending me mushy cards and taking me on long walks in the moonlight. We often ended up at the huge stained glass window on campus, a picture of Jesus knocking on the door. We would sit on the lawn outside of it and dream together, discussing where God might be taking each of us and our desires to use our gifts for His service. We recognized a divine touch in each other and pointed out the strengths we saw, even the ones that may separate us, as his did for a while.

I realize now this is what attracted me most to my husband. God and His call has always been more important to him than me. I haven't always appreciated that. I mean, c'mon, shouldn't I be the world to him?! But I understand a man learns to be a good husband by looking to the best example, not by doting on his wife. An ordinary man becomes an extraordinary husband by hitching his trailer to the One who loves perfectly. I am blessed because I am not his first love. His first love enables him to love me better.

The first time she met him, my grandma told me, "That Kevin is a nice, young fellow. You set your cap toward him!" She was right. He is a nice, young fellow, but most importantly, he is a man who strives to follow his Lord. I may not always like what that means for me, but in the long run it has proven to be a huge gift.


For more Marriage Monday posts, click over to Fruit in Season.

12 comments:

lori said...

Beautiful...to love a man, and be loved by a man who LOVES GOD above all else, is a gift from GOD!
What a beautiful post...
I too am laughed with and listened too...what blessings!!
enjoyed it!!
be blessed!!

Mrs. Fussypants said...

Beautiful story, but my favorite part is when you used the word
"HUSSIE"....I actually snorted. I was laughing so hard!
**snorts***

God's girl said...

This post is just wonderful! This is the prayer I have for my daughter's relationships with their future mates. What a perfect example! Thanks so much for sharing! Lifting a prayer for your marriage! You have blessed me!
Blessings,
Angela

Dianne said...

This is precious. And so well-worded too! Thanks for letting your heart come through.

Anonymous said...

I have thorougly enjoyed reading everyone's stories today, and yours was beautiful. It's so encouraging to know there are so many GOOD marriages out there, so many good husbands, fathers, REAL MEN. Today I am praying for all of them, and all of our sons, too, that they will carry on this legacy! Thanks for sharing,
Jen

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Wow. Just...wow.

forgiven said...

Wow , where's a man like that for me? I'm still patiently waiting for, that special person. Maybe God will send him, my way than again maybe not. I took me along time to be comfortable with the thought of never having someone specail like yours. But hey some poor fella isn't stuck with Ha! Ha! You always have such a way of puttting things so easily. Keep on bloggin girl.

Christine said...

I could just picture you two outside that stained glass window! I love the "hitching his trailer" imagery too. Thanks for posting Tami!

Kate said...

I love your writing style. I kept reading beyond this post down to the end of the page because you are a story teller. Your words just drew me in.

Kate

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

That was so beautiful. I have struggled with the same issues - I mean, dude, why isn't my happiness the most important thing? But in the end, I'm so glad, as you are, that my hubby puts God first. It's great when we can look up to them, isn't it?

Susannah said...

This is so beautiful. Wow, what a love story. I could echo so much of what you've written. Glad your Grandma had such amazing foresight! :~)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...It's wonderful to see a couple still in love and looking to God in all things!